thesenotes
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by thesenotes » January 28th, 2018, 11:18 am

PM2017 wrote:
thesenotes wrote:I was wondering, is it legal to launch the cup forwards past the cup line and then reverse directly to the target point? I think someone asked this earlier on this forum. As long as the cup remains in contact with the floor the entire time I think it should be legal according to the rules. The question is, is this legal, and would this be considered not "in the spirit of the event" to the supervisors running it?
When I asked this earlier, I think that the decision was that it is illegal because all parts of the vehicle must move as a whole (I found this iffy, since by this logic the lever arm is a violation...), and since the event description states that the mousetrap car will be designed to push the cup forward, then reverse. (A better reason imo.)

Both these reasons are up to interpretation, however. One solution is to build two cars, one traditionally, and one unidirectional with a cup launcher, but idk which SciOlympian has time for that.

Also, speaking of loopholes in this event, the rules state that nothing can touch the ground unless its string, wheels, or already in contact at the start of the run. Does anyone think that it is possible to have a break pad touching the ground at the start, lift up, and push back down at the end?

Also, that moment when you squander your team's second place by winding the car backward, (the precision was nigh perfect though). We got sixth overall, with only a 14 pt difference between us and second. If my car hadn't gotten only participation points, we would have placed second... Lessons learned I guess...
According to rule 3.i, the plastic cup is not considered a part of the vehicle. The event description does make it sound like this approach isn't in the spirit of the rules, but if you were to go forward, say, 0.5 meters, then flick the cup and reverse to the target point, I would think that it is fair.
2016 SONT: 5th Place Scrambler
2017 MIT: 1st Place Electric Vehicle
2018 MIT: 1st Place Helicopter, 6th Place Mousetrap Vehicle
2018 UPenn: 2nd Place Mousetrap Vehicle, 2nd Place Mission Possible, 3rd Place Helicopter

pkhsekar@gmail.com

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » January 28th, 2018, 11:33 am

PM2017 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
thesenotes wrote:I was wondering, is it legal to launch the cup forwards past the cup line and then reverse directly to the target point? I think someone asked this earlier on this forum. As long as the cup remains in contact with the floor the entire time I think it should be legal according to the rules. The question is, is this legal, and would this be considered not "in the spirit of the event" to the supervisors running it?
I’m not sure if it’s legal but two potential arguments for its illegality were brought up earlier in this thread, one due to the parts not moving “as a whole” (or something like that) and the other due to the “spirit of the event”.

In my opinion it’s not even worth it if you could. It won’t make you any more accurate, just a little bit faster, so as a best case scenario it’ll shave off, what, 4 points? At the risk of being tiered. It’s better to just focus on accuracy, IMO.
Actually, it might. any wobble in the wheel or any slight imperfect would be amplified in the extra six meters.
Not really. A wobble in wheel or imperfection in axle alignment will cause your car to curve, but since it would travel the same path forward and backward it would normally return to the starting point anyway. However, if there is skidding on the reversal you might see a shift in accuracy. Furthermore, sighting the car will be easier.

Also:
PM2017 wrote: the event description states that the mousetrap car will be designed to push the cup forward, then reverse. (A better reason imo.)
If you were trying to use the loophole of pushing the cup forward without having the actual car move forward, it wouldn't be hard to just have the car move a few centimeters forward and then reverse, satisfying the reversal phrasing of the rules.

I personally still wouldn't try this though.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

cubes

Post by cubes » January 28th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Hello, I've been reading through the sci oly forums and have 2 questions:

1) What website are you guys using to buy the titanium rods in specific lengths? I want to buy them precut to 5 inches.

2) Is there a forum for crave the wave? I need some help with the wave equation but can't find any forums. regionals is in 3 weeks so I'm kind of panicking.

vjindal
State: NY

Post by vjindal » January 28th, 2018, 3:15 pm

cubes wrote: 2) Is there a forum for crave the wave? I need some help with the wave equation but can't find any forums. regionals is in 3 weeks so I'm kind of panicking.
Crave the Wave is not an event this year, however Optics is
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » January 28th, 2018, 3:28 pm

vjindal wrote:
cubes wrote: 2) Is there a forum for crave the wave? I need some help with the wave equation but can't find any forums. regionals is in 3 weeks so I'm kind of panicking.
Noting that cubes is from NC, Crave the Wave might be an NC-exclusive state event this year (because NC is weird like that). For a thread, try this.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS » January 28th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Unome wrote:
vjindal wrote:
Noting that cubes is from NC, Crave the Wave might be an NC-exclusive state event this year (because NC is weird like that). For a thread, try this.
NC is weird like that, but Crave the Wave is not an event for A, B or C.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

northwestGuilford

Post by northwestGuilford » February 2nd, 2018, 6:01 pm

I have two questions:

1. Can someone give me a link to threaded titanium rods with custom length.
2. How do I make the car go backwards. I heard something about backwinding, but I don't know how to do it. Could someone provide a video or explanation on this?

DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder » February 2nd, 2018, 6:15 pm

Go on YouTube and type in mousetrap vehicle backwards tutorial and it should show up.
Deleted

rafaelnadal
State: TX

Post by rafaelnadal » February 3rd, 2018, 12:26 pm

so my build goes forward but it just stops and doesnt rotate back (i wrapped the string the opposite way as well..)

any ideas on what could be causing this? my string seems to be really long and doesnt cause any tension on the lever arm until i wind it a good amount which i think could be the cause? idk if thats due to too short a lever arm or just bad string. (try fishing wire instead?)
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-

nnaya
State: IL

Post by nnaya » February 4th, 2018, 6:20 am

Is fishing wire a good choice for the string?
Does anyone know if it stretches over several runs?
Thank you.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”