Mousetrap Vehicle C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Unome »

Second was 9 something, as stated above (any more detail is at the discretion of my teammates who competed in the event).

Edit: see below
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Orion66
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Orion66 »

We ran a time of 8.45 seconds and a distance of 0.5cm to get a score of 9.45 and got 2nd place.
Chattahoochee High School

"Don't bother me. I'm busy conserving energy, momentum, and angular momentum"

2016: Bridges | Air Trajectory | Hydrogeology
2017: Towers | Helicopters | Hydrogeology
2018: Towers | Helicopters | Mousetrap Vehicle, Hovercraft
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

colaboy82 wrote:I thought I’d share this here since my season ended at NY states a while ago. This is my analysis of what happened to my vehicle at states and what caused it to mess up so it’s not specifically a reveal video but it does show my mousetrap vehicle and shows it running. When my vehicle performed properly, its' scores ranged from 20 to high single digits. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/pW48Vg3BQPk
Can you explain what that tube at the back does?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Ten086

Post by Ten086 »

Hey, if anyone placed around 40th to 50th place, could you either post or PM me an approximation of your score? My team placed surprisingly low, and we're not sure if there was a scoring error (first run failed because they hit the wrong mousetrap oops) or if nats is just crazy lol.
Just trying my best...
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Ten086 wrote:Hey, if anyone placed around 40th to 50th place, could you either post or PM me an approximation of your score? My team placed surprisingly low, and we're not sure if there was a scoring error (first run failed because they hit the wrong mousetrap oops) or if nats is just crazy lol.
Nats is crazy, but you should start by posting your time and distance of the second run. Additionally I haven't read the Mousetrap rules recently enough to remember if there is a penalty for a failed first run, but if there is, that might be it.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
4Head

Post by 4Head »

windu34 wrote:
Ten086 wrote:Hey, if anyone placed around 40th to 50th place, could you either post or PM me an approximation of your score? My team placed surprisingly low, and we're not sure if there was a scoring error (first run failed because they hit the wrong mousetrap oops) or if nats is just crazy lol.
Nats is crazy, but you should start by posting your time and distance of the second run. Additionally I haven't read the Mousetrap rules recently enough to remember if there is a penalty for a failed first run, but if there is, that might be it.
iirc it has been if a failed run happens (no movement after trigger) the team can take another run without penalty
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Ten086

Post by Ten086 »

4Head wrote:
windu34 wrote:
iirc it has been if a failed run happens (no movement after trigger) the team can take another run without penalty
We figured it out--we got the 300 point penalty for the cup not crossing the target line :( Thanks everyone for the help tho!
Just trying my best...
colaboy82
State: NY

Post by colaboy82 »

antoine_ego wrote:
colaboy82 wrote:I thought I’d share this here since my season ended at NY states a while ago. This is my analysis of what happened to my vehicle at states and what caused it to mess up so it’s not specifically a reveal video but it does show my mousetrap vehicle and shows it running. When my vehicle performed properly, its' scores ranged from 20 to high single digits. Enjoy!

Sure. The tube on the back is a telescope I made for aiming. I would place a wooden dowel (the same one I used for my EV cuz I love that event too much) on the target point and aim the telescope towards the dowel to a point I created on the telescope’s lens. This was done to create consistency for my vheicle’s runs.
Townsend Harris
15-16
Regionals/States
EV 1/3
Robot Arm 1/42 ( :cry: tier 2)
Wright Stuff 1/4
Bridge Building 1/13
Game On -/17
16-17
Yale/Regionals/States
EV 14/1/4
Robot Arm 4/1/2
Helicopters -/2/3
Game On 20/8/10
17-18
Islip/Regionals/States
Mousetrap Vehicle 3/1/
Game On 19/8/
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

colaboy82 wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

Sure. The tube on the back is a telescope I made for aiming. I would place a wooden dowel (the same one I used for my EV cuz I love that event too much) on the target point and aim the telescope towards the dowel to a point I created on the telescope’s lens. This was done to create consistency for my vheicle’s runs.
I note that your vehicle has very small back wheels, yet is exceptionally skinny. Did you purchase rod with a high thread count?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
colaboy82
State: NY

Post by colaboy82 »

antoine_ego wrote:
colaboy82 wrote:
antoine_ego wrote: Can you explain what that tube at the back does?
I note that your vehicle has very small back wheels, yet is exceptionally skinny. Did you purchase rod with a high thread count?
Yes I purchased a rod with a high thread count so I could increase my accuracy. I also used a die to make sure the thread count was to my liking and account for any imperfections. What I also did with my rod was add a lubricant to make sure the stopper would move smoothly.
Townsend Harris
15-16
Regionals/States
EV 1/3
Robot Arm 1/42 ( :cry: tier 2)
Wright Stuff 1/4
Bridge Building 1/13
Game On -/17
16-17
Yale/Regionals/States
EV 14/1/4
Robot Arm 4/1/2