State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by rafaelnadal »

PM2017 wrote:
rafaelnadal wrote:
JonB wrote:
I would avoid solid- it will be really heavy. Are you restricted to only one size that can be used? If you can make hollow CF tubes work, that would be ideal (assuming they won't bend).
Yeah i'm kind of restricted to 1/4" atm.
Does 6mm work for you? (1/4 in = 6mm)
if so try this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fibe ... 0x6mm.html
That's what I'm currently using.
Thanks, but I'm actually looking for a round tube for my axle.

I'm looking for a hollow CF round rod with a OD of 1/4" or 6mm bc thats the size of my bearings and wheel hubs. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money right now to get a CF rod + new bearings + new hubs...so I'm trying to find the right CF rod size
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Today on amazon there are several pieces of 6 or 7 mm ID with a 8 mm OD. Lengths from 330 mm to 500 mm.
2 pieces for 14 to 20 dollars.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

rafaelnadal wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
rafaelnadal wrote:
Yeah i'm kind of restricted to 1/4" atm.
Does 6mm work for you? (1/4 in = 6mm)
if so try this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fibe ... 0x6mm.html
That's what I'm currently using.
Thanks, but I'm actually looking for a round tube for my axle.

I'm looking for a hollow CF round rod with a OD of 1/4" or 6mm bc thats the size of my bearings and wheel hubs. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money right now to get a CF rod + new bearings + new hubs...so I'm trying to find the right CF rod size
they also carry round tubes. That's where I got my axle.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
rafaelnadal
Division: C

Post by rafaelnadal »

How do people manage to cover the entire distance with banebots? I can't get enough string; if I use the length i actually need, i lose the tension. Ended up hurting my score really bad, so I have to switch back to CDs
CyFalls HS '19

dhdarren
State: OH

Post by dhdarren »

rafaelnadal wrote:How do people manage to cover the entire distance with banebots? I can't get enough string; if I use the length i actually need, i lose the tension. Ended up hurting my score really bad, so I have to switch back to CDs
How long is your vehicle? Ours is almost 50cm between the ends of the front and rear wheels, and we were able to make the nearly the whole distance with 2-7/8" banebots, with the very end of the distance (maybe 50cm or so) being carried at a pretty quick speed with momentum alone
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

rafaelnadal wrote:How do people manage to cover the entire distance with banebots? I can't get enough string; if I use the length i actually need, i lose the tension. Ended up hurting my score really bad, so I have to switch back to CDs
What size if your axle, and your lever arm
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
dhdarren
State: OH

Post by dhdarren »

For those using Banebots, which color are you using? We've been using orange so far, but I'm wondering if the car would benefit at all in terms of precision if we used harder wheels (blue). Also, Banebots are obviously a bit heavy in the context of mousetrap vehicles. We tried drilling out the wheels, but couldn't figure out how to make the holes even and keep the wheel balanced. Any ideas?
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

dhdarren wrote:For those using Banebots, which color are you using? We've been using orange so far, but I'm wondering if the car would benefit at all in terms of precision if we used harder wheels (blue). Also, Banebots are obviously a bit heavy in the context of mousetrap vehicles. We tried drilling out the wheels, but couldn't figure out how to make the holes even and keep the wheel balanced. Any ideas?
Currently using the blue banebots, but they are a little on the heavier side and we will probably switch to another type of wheel. If you have access to one, I would suggest using a laser cutter to cut out the holls in the wheels.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

Entomology wrote:
dhdarren wrote:For those using Banebots, which color are you using? We've been using orange so far, but I'm wondering if the car would benefit at all in terms of precision if we used harder wheels (blue). Also, Banebots are obviously a bit heavy in the context of mousetrap vehicles. We tried drilling out the wheels, but couldn't figure out how to make the holes even and keep the wheel balanced. Any ideas?
Currently using the blue banebots, but they are a little on the heavier side and we will probably switch to another type of wheel. If you have access to one, I would suggest using a laser cutter to cut out the holls in the wheels.
Do you mean laser cut part of the tread?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that one can get cheap 35a(or below) tread, without a wheel? (I can make the wheel myself, and apply the tread onto it)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
rafaelnadal

Post by rafaelnadal »

How long is your vehicle? Ours is almost 50cm between the ends of the front and rear wheels, and we were able to make the nearly the whole distance with 2-7/8" banebots, with the very end of the distance (maybe 50cm or so) being carried at a pretty quick speed with momentum alone
PM2017 wrote:
What size if your axle, and your lever arm
my axles are both 1/4" one is a wooden dowel, the other a steel threaded rod and i increased my lever arm to ~55cm recently to increase distance. Also my car length wheel to wheel is ~45 (my partner has the car with him right now i cant give exact measurements)

i also have ball bearings to reduce axle friction

EDIT: I could change my drive axle from a 1/4" wooden dowel to a 1/8" steel rod (i also found 1/8" bearings out of nowhere to go with it) to reduce the string needed by half which i think would solve my problem.
Last edited by rafaelnadal on February 11th, 2018, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyFalls HS '19

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”