Section 5.d Cup Touching the Dowel

19blounsbury
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Section 5.d Cup Touching the Dowel

Post by 19blounsbury »

In 5.d, It says "Teams will place a 16-oz. plastic cup provided by the supervisor upside down to cover the Start Point (SP). The
SP can be anywhere under the cup as long as it is completely covered. In the ready-to-run configuration, the
vehicle’s dowel must touch the cup. The cup must remain in contact with the track at all times."

What I am confused with is the " In the ready-to-run configuration, the
vehicle’s dowel must touch the cup."

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong, but I do not get why this is needed and how to do this in the first place.

Honestly I am just really confused with this part. Any feedback at all would appreciated.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Section 5.d Cup Touching the Dowel

Post by Unome »

Example image (I just created this in a pinch, it make not be perfectly accurate). Blue is dowel, red is the outline of the cup, green is the start point.
MousetrapStart.png
MousetrapStart.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
19blounsbury

Post by 19blounsbury »

Thank You!
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

can i 3d print my own dowel? or does it have to be wooden?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

terence.tan wrote:can i 3d print my own dowel? or does it have to be wooden?
Yes you can. Just make sure it's clear exactly what is the dowel to avoid any confusion when measurements are taken.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:
Yes you can. Just make sure it's clear exactly what is the dowel to avoid any confusion when measurements are taken.
I don't really understand why anyone would want to 3D print a dowel when wooden dowels are readily available and more likely to comply.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Rêveur

Post by Rêveur »

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
I don't really understand why anyone would want to 3D print a dowel when wooden dowels are readily available and more likely to comply.
Might have something to do about weight? Though I'm not sure whether 3D printed injection plastic is lighter than balsa wood
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

Rêveur wrote:
Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
Might have something to do about weight? Though I'm not sure whether 3D printed injection plastic is lighter than balsa wood
Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
i want to make my dowel have a larger diameter so I can have a slightly better distance score. in the rules it said i can have a dowel 1/4" diameter or larger
does that make sense or a dumb idea
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

terence.tan wrote:
Rêveur wrote:
Unome wrote: I don't really understand why anyone would want to 3D print a dowel when wooden dowels are readily available and more likely to comply.
Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
i want to make my dowel have a larger diameter so I can have a slightly better distance score. in the rules it said i can have a dowel 1/4" diameter or larger
actually nvm. the rule clarification no longer allows that
Rêveur

Post by Rêveur »

terence.tan wrote:
Rêveur wrote:
Unome wrote: I don't really understand why anyone would want to 3D print a dowel when wooden dowels are readily available and more likely to comply.
Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
Terence I've never thought about that, but I'm not sure it will work.
I'd check the rules though, because 7c. states that the Vehicle Distance is the pt to pt distance from the VTP to the closest part of the dowel.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”