Newbie Question on Rules

bluehorse123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie Question on Rules

Post by bluehorse123 »

Hi Scioly competitors,

I'm a newbie to build events, and I have just started creating my vehicle for Mousetrap today. (oops)

However, I have found that I am VERY confused on the general rules of the event.

According to my understanding, you have to make a vehicle propelled by a mousetrap that pushes a cup to a certain length, then reverses and travels backwards a certain length. My question is - What are the required lengths that the vehicle must travel forwards and backwards? Are they both determined by the Procter? If so, is there a range the Procter can choose from?

Any help is much appreciated...
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Newbie Question on Rules

Post by Unome »

Essentially, the vehicle must go forward a fixed distance of 3 meters, and then go backward 5 to 7 meters from there (i.e. 2 to 4 meters from the original start point). The event supervisor chooses the latter distance, within limits (see rule 6.b). There's a track diagram posted on soinc.org (here).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bluehorse123

Post by bluehorse123 »

@Unome Thank you so much! This makes a lot more sense now and I finally have a clear image of what I need to do! :D
Lambs
Division: C
State: KS

Post by Lambs »

Is there a certain format that the practice log has to be in?
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Lambs wrote:Is there a certain format that the practice log has to be in?
No, but off the top of my head there is a minimum of ten entries (rows) and each row must have a time and distance measurement plus at least one other parameter. Look at the rules carefully as I know it states explicitly what is needed.
Rêveur

Post by Rêveur »

mnoga wrote:
No, but off the top of my head there is a minimum of ten entries (rows) and each row must have a time and distance measurement plus at least one other parameter. Look at the rules carefully as I know it states explicitly what is needed.
Hey do people know if its okay to impound 2 vehicles, then choose which vehicle to use on each run?
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Rêveur wrote:
mnoga wrote:
Hey do people know if its okay to impound 2 vehicles, then choose which vehicle to use on each run?
Not sure about mousetrap vehicle, but for instance, Div B Battery Buggy says, "Participants must bring a vehicle..." which means "a" singular.
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Rêveur wrote:
mnoga wrote:
We’ve tried. The answer is no
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”