Vehicle Alignment When Reversing Direction

Orion66
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Vehicle Alignment When Reversing Direction

Post by Orion66 »

When my mousetrap vehicle goes forward, it follows a relatively straight path. But when it reverses direction, its return path is noticeably more curved/misaligned. I've checked, and I don't see any slipping between the wheels and the ground. If my intuition is correct, a vehicle going forwards then back -- regardless of how the wheels are aligned -- should at least pass through the initial starting point on the way back. Yet this is not the case with my vehicle.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Thanks!
Chattahoochee High School

"Don't bother me. I'm busy conserving energy, momentum, and angular momentum"

2016: Bridges | Air Trajectory | Hydrogeology
2017: Towers | Helicopters | Hydrogeology
2018: Towers | Helicopters | Mousetrap Vehicle, Hovercraft
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vehicle Alignment When Reversing Direction

Post by terence.tan »

Orion66 wrote:When my mousetrap vehicle goes forward, it follows a relatively straight path. But when it reverses direction, its return path is noticeably more curved/misaligned. I've checked, and I don't see any slipping between the wheels and the ground. If my intuition is correct, a vehicle going forwards then back -- regardless of how the wheels are aligned -- should at least pass through the initial starting point on the way back. Yet this is not the case with my vehicle.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Thanks!
the vehicle dose not have to drive straight when going forward, it just needs to go back to the center line when going backwards
After a couple of test you will find the sweet spot.
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”