RoboStudent
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Supplies and tips

Post by RoboStudent »

Hello all,
I seem to be a bit behind right now in my mousetrap build. As a person making a vehicle from scratch, what are some good supplies to pick up in order to make a quick and easy moustrap vehicle? CDs, boards, dowels, etc. Also, do any of you have any tips, as I have never doe this before?

Thanks!
Idaho SO
Bishop Kelly High School
RoboStudent's Userpage
4Head

Re: Supplies and tips

Post by 4Head »

RoboStudent wrote:Hello all,
I seem to be a bit behind right now in my mousetrap build. As a person making a vehicle from scratch, what are some good supplies to pick up in order to make a quick and easy moustrap vehicle? CDs, boards, dowels, etc. Also, do any of you have any tips, as I have never doe this before?

Thanks!
Superglue is your friend.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
RoboStudent
State: ID

Post by RoboStudent »

4Head wrote:
RoboStudent wrote:Hello all,

Thanks!
Superglue is your friend.
As a person that has done mission possible, this is so true!
Idaho SO
Bishop Kelly High School
RoboStudent's Userpage
JojoCho
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

For wheels, I wouldn't suggest CDs but if you are short on time, just make sure you have some sort of rubber material outlining the rim of the CD to prevent your vehicle from skidding. People that do this usually just use a balloon or something. If you have time I would recommend actually getting some wheels (parts from a robotics kit or wheels of a similar sort). Dowels you can find at your local hobby lobby or craft store. Also, make sure to test out the different brands of mousetraps and see which one works best for you. You will also need to buy axels which you can get at like home depot. For the body, I've seen many different things. The easiest approach is probably using strong sticks of wood to create the body (Balsa if you can find very strong pieces, but if not, basswood, and last resort if all the wood is too flimsy, plywood). There are also people who will 3D print the body but that will require knowledge of those sketching programs and access to a decent printer. Lastly, you'll need to figure out a braking system so your vehicle can stop at the right places. Hope this sort of helped!
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

I have found that highly modified Doc Fizzix kits make good cars. But, they need the traps and several other main components changed to comply with the rules. They also have a tendency to run crooked when they go backwards, which you must modify the axel attachments to do in the first place. They do give you a place to start, especially if you are like me and can't decide on what materials to use. In my experience, several wraps with masking tape can add enough traction to cd wheels for them to work without the expense and weight of real wheels. You can also drill holes in your wheels to make them lighter if you need to lighten your car, just be sure to not reduce the structural integrity of them in the process. I hope this helps.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”