Transport?

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Transport?

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Hey, how are you all transporting your mousetrap vehicles to nats? I feel like the safest way is to carry it on in a padded box, but I don't know if I can get it through airport security.

Those who have flown with a mousetrap vehicle before, any advice? Thanks.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Transport?

Post by DarthBuilder »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Hey, how are you all transporting your mousetrap vehicles to nats? I feel like the safest way is to carry it on in a padded box, but I don't know if I can get it through airport security.

I guess you can use it as your carry on, right?
Deleted
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Any advice security wise?
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

DarthBuilder wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Hey, how are you all transporting your mousetrap vehicles to nats? I feel like the safest way is to carry it on in a padded box, but I don't know if I can get it through airport security.

Well, that's what I'm wondering. Would they let me through TSA with the car? Have you flown with yours before? Thanks for your help.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:

Well, that's what I'm wondering. Would they let me through TSA with the car? Have you flown with yours before? Thanks for your help.
I actually am not flying with the car. My teammate decided that the car will be driven to Colorado instead even though there is still a risk of the car getting damaged but much smaller chance than in plane. But I’m sure you can get 5rough TSA after they look in your carry on. They might have some question but I’m sure you can get through TSA with some explanation even though there is some metal parts but it shouldn’t matter much.
One other option is to ship it to your hotel in a very secure box.
Edit: I am not familiar with how TSA checks stuff with metal but it should be fine.
Deleted
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

I was thinking that you could buy a large block of styrofoam, cut it in half (longways) and carve out the shape of the car so that when you put it back together, with the car inside, the car can't move. Then you would put this in a box, and the rest of your items (sighting device, logs, rulers, protractors, extra mousetraps, spare parts, checklist, etc.) in this larger box, then stuff it with packing peanuts. (Obviously, don't take this to impound, but reorganize everything once you're in your hotel room.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

It should not be a problem to fly with it. We usually carry it on because it fits in a small suitcase. The competitor usually carries the case from point "A" to point "B" and does not wheel it around. We have never had an issue with TSA and mousetrap vehicle. However, I feel obliged to add that this might not be the case with all mousetrap vehicles- it will depend on what it would be made out of and such.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”