Roller Coaster B

JionPark
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by JionPark »

Unome wrote:
JionPark wrote: The preceding statement should set two bounds - e.g. 20s and 40s (I don't remember what the exact bounds are for Roller Coaster). What this means is that
  • At Regionals the target time can be 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, or 40s.
  • At state, 20s, 22s, 24s,..., 40s.
  • And at Nationals, 20s, 21s, 22s,..., 40s.

At Regionals, if the time was not in 5 seconds interval, would the event supervisor round it into the interval? Or would you have to adjust the time to make it into the certain interval?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JionPark wrote:
Unome wrote: The preceding statement should set two bounds - e.g. 20s and 40s (I don't remember what the exact bounds are for Roller Coaster). What this means is that
  • At Regionals the target time can be 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, or 40s.
  • At state, 20s, 22s, 24s,..., 40s.
  • And at Nationals, 20s, 21s, 22s,..., 40s.
At Regionals, if the time was not in 5 seconds interval, would the event supervisor round it into the interval? Or would you have to adjust the time to make it into the certain interval?
The event supervisor will select one of the allowed target times. Your device's run time would not be rounded.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
genahoward

Post by genahoward »

If the finish line is marked on a board, can that board then be rotated after impound? Would that be considered adjusting the finish line?

Thank you in advance!

Gena Howard
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

i think that if the start and finish line position in respect to the board or device does not change, you should be fine.

else, how will they qualify their statement that the contestants are allowed to level the device? it does move the finish line in respect to the table... no?
genahoward

Post by genahoward »

My team would like to be able to rotate their bottom level only. So while the marked finish line would not be changed, it's position would change with respect to the rest of the device by rotating 90 degrees.
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

I watched a roller coaster video, and it was a kit to the Science Olympiad. Two half pipes were used to create more time for the marble, but I wanted to know if they're allowed.
sandvinsd
Division: B
State: CA

Post by sandvinsd »

Note that the Roller Coaster Spreadsheet on the national site has been updated. Early invitationals in December were using a bad spreadsheet that skewed the roller coaster and overall results for the Ladera Vista Invitational in particular. The error in that spreadsheet has been corrected and the new spreadsheet has been posted to the national site.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

It says that the rollercoaster cannot be touched. Makes sense, as the roller coaster is supposed to be powered solely by gravitational potential energy (the height and mass of the ball initially, combined with gravity)
builder83

Post by builder83 »

JionPark wrote:I watched a roller coaster video, and it was a kit to the Science Olympiad. Two half pipes were used to create more time for the marble, but I wanted to know if they're allowed.
As long as you can pull the marble off the half pipe vertically I think it would work. Also seems very difficult to fine tune the time.
kylg
State: AL

Post by kylg »

What are Chalker's contacts? I need to ask him something.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''

Return to “Roller Coaster B”