Post by ms74coach »

Got it. Thank you shrewd.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to interpret rules on what counts as a jump

Post by goodcheer »

ms74coach wrote:Hello, this is my first time on the forum. My students have a gap jump that lands on the receiving end but does a bounce forward in the direction of the jump. The bounce is about 5-7 cm but does this violate the following: "After landing the vehicle must travel at least 5 cm on the track in the direction of the jump (e.g.,a gap may not end with the vehicle hitting a wall)." Does the vehicle need to roll (stay in contact) with the track when it lands from a jump for 5cm in the direction of the jump? Doe the land + bounce forward 5cm violate the rule because its not "on" the track for the 5cm after it lands? Thanks in advance.

It seems to me the rule about bouncing does not apply in your description and it seems to be a bit confusing. If you have a legal gap jump and it bounces when it lands, the gap bonus should count if it continues to travel in the direction of the jump. The bouncing issue seems to apply when someone tries to count a bounce itself as a gap jump. So, if you jump a gap of 5 cm and it lands and bounces 5 cm, your gap bonus based on the first 5 cm should count, but the 5 cm bounce would not count as a gap bonus. A bounce would not count for a gap bonus because a gap jump must be across an open span without support or guidance. I'm guessing when your vehicle lands and bounces, it bounces on the track and is guided by side rails, so the bounce itself is not a gap jump. That's how I read it, if that makes sense?
hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Re: How to interpret rules on what counts as a jump

Post by hippo9 »

ms74coach wrote:Hello, this is my first time on the forum. My students have a gap jump that lands on the receiving end but does a bounce forward in the direction of the jump. The bounce is about 5-7 cm but does this violate the following: "After landing the vehicle must travel at least 5 cm on the track in the direction of the jump (e.g.,a gap may not end with the vehicle hitting a wall)." Does the vehicle need to roll (stay in contact) with the track when it lands from a jump for 5cm in the direction of the jump? Doe the land + bounce forward 5cm violate the rule because its not "on" the track for the 5cm after it lands? Thanks in advance.
As long as the gap is spanned without hitting anything such as a wall or the baseboard, it should be counted if it bounces after clearing the gap.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|

Return to “Roller Coaster B”