GAP measurement In competition

hozeng
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GAP measurement In competition

Post by hozeng »

Our system was designed for a max jump. We have a short receiving track (>5 cm according the rule) followed by a turn then connected to a ramp with the finish line mark. The horizontal distance between the jump point and land point on the receiving track is about 50cm. In the regional competition, our ball jumped over the gap as designed, however the gap was measured from the jump point to the RAMP!!! That was measured as 20 cm. The explanation from the event leader was

"The rules state that they should have measured from the jump point to the front edge of the ramp but that is also assuming that the ramp is on the same plane of where the originating gap was."

In the rule, there is no definition of "plane"(while our system was judged against the assumption of "plane"). The rule dose not mention all the tacks inside the same "plane" will be considered as a "whole" piece for measurement purpose. Loops and turns are very common in many designs. I am wondering how to apply the concept of "plane" on a track with turns and ramps? According to our common sense, the gap measurement has to roughly reflect the actual distance a vehicle travels in the air, which should be the FAIR criteria for gap credits.

As a 2-year coach and 20-year veteran engineer, I am concerned about the way how the rule got interpreted. That discouraged young brilliant minds of innovations.
Can anyone clarify the rules? We already lost the opportunity for state competition. but the answer will be beneficial to others teams. I am looking for clearly defined rules next year.

Thanks
Last edited by hozeng on February 8th, 2018, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Re: GAP measurement In competition

Post by cool hand luke »

can you post a pic to help clarify what's going on?
hozeng

Post by hozeng »

Here is the diagram top down view. In our system, the ball landed on receiving track then turned into ramp, where it slowed down. we have other objects on the ramp (not shown on the diagram) to let the ball move very slowly on the ramp until it passed the finish line. Receiving track and the ramp are not on the same level of height. The receiving track is about 5 cm higher than the highest point on the ramp.

Last edited by hozeng on February 8th, 2018, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPP SciO
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

From 3.i.: "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0 cm from the end of the track the vehicle leaves measured to the closest part of the track the vehicle lands on."

So even if the marble is able to make a longer jump, the measurement is still going to be the "air" between the two ramps. I think the "plane" explanation was just another way of saying horizontal span. Solution: make the landing ramp shorter.
Last edited by SPP SciO on February 8th, 2018, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
hozeng

Post by hozeng »

In our system, the ball landed on receiving track then turned into ramp, where it slowed down. we have other objects on the ramp (not shown on the diagram) to let the ball move very slowly on the ramp until it passed the finish line. Receiving track and the ramp are not on the same level of height. The receiving track is about 5 cm higher than the highest point on the ramp.
hozeng

Post by hozeng »

3.i.: "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0 cm from the end of the track the vehicle leaves measured to the closest part of the track the vehicle lands on."

I guess, we need to define the scope of "the track the vehicle lands on" in the rule. For example, a real picture of roller coaster from web. The receiving tack loops back to underneath of the jump point.
So can we claim the gap is ZERO?

IvanGe
Division: C
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

The measurement should be taken where the ball lands, assuming it travels 5 cm in the direction of the propulsion. I did something similar to that, except I had a ramp leading into another jump and at tourneys they measured from where the ball left the track to exactly where it lands.
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
hozeng

Post by hozeng »

IvanGe wrote:The measurement should be taken where the ball lands, assuming it travels 5 cm in the direction of the propulsion. I did something similar to that, except I had a ramp leading into another jump and at tourneys they measured from where the ball left the track to exactly where it lands.
Thanks for sharing! I also believe the measurement should be aligned with the actual direction of the ball travel in air. However, here is the email we received from the director of science Olympia in our state:
"To be clear - this device was not mis-measured. It was actually given a very generous measurement, as was explained in the last email to your coach. The gap bonus is for the open space, not where the ball landed."
cool hand luke
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

That aligns with what I was told at the Texas coaches clinic.

I think it’s an incorrect interpretation but my vote doesn’t count.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Imo that is absolutely a judge error. Lets say for example your finish line is directly under where your 1st jump is. Does that mean you get a total of 0 cm gap?

Should be measured from the launch point to the nearest point on the receiving track it lands on (horizontal measurement). Not where that track eventually twists and turns to later on.

Return to “Roller Coaster B”