GAP measurement In competition

kylg
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: GAP measurement In competition

Post by kylg »

So, you would only get 5 cm gap bonus for this gap then because some part of the track is underneath the "gap zone" that is closer than the endpoint?
https://sketch.io/render/sk-b3d219148a0 ... 2c3a2.jpeg

makes no sense at all that means you would have to have nothing in the space under your gaps if you want them to count fully.
These users thanked the author kylg for the post:
hicanha (October 2nd, 2020, 12:15 am)
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

hozeng wrote:Our system was designed for a max jump. We have a short receiving track (>5 cm according the rule) followed by a turn then connected to a ramp with the finish line mark. The horizontal distance between the jump point and land point on the receiving track is about 50cm. In the regional competition, our ball jumped over the gap as designed, however the gap was measured from the jump point to the RAMP!!! That was measured as 20 cm. The explanation from the event leader was

"The rules state that they should have measured from the jump point to the front edge of the ramp but that is also assuming that the ramp is on the same plane of where the originating gap was."
This is another example where rules can be misread and taken so literally that it misses the intent of the rules. In my opinion,

(1) When they speak of plane, they might be speaking of the horizontal measurement of the gap: that is, the measurement must be on the same plane, not done diagonally.
(2) Measuring the gap as they did to the front edge of the ramp might be the closest part of the track, but that was not where the ball landed and it did not travel from that direction up the ramp! Part of the rules for a gap bonus mentions direction of travel. They measured opposite the direction of travel, rather than in the direction of travel.
(3) Rule writing is obviously difficult and this shows it is impossible to foresee all possible interpretations. I really don't see how the rules could be made any plainer on this point, but perhaps a clarifying statement could be added, such as, "the measurement being in the same direction of travel as the vehicle." Best wishes.
These users thanked the author goodcheer for the post:
hicanha (October 2nd, 2020, 12:15 am)
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

kylg wrote:So, you would only get 5 cm gap bonus for this gap then because some part of the track is underneath the "gap zone" that is closer than the endpoint?
https://sketch.io/render/sk-b3d219148a0 ... 2c3a2.jpeg

makes no sense at all that means you would have to have nothing in the space under your gaps if you want them to count fully.
I'm just starting to work on this event so that I can help mentor some middle school students on my team. IMO, that actually does make sense. The point is to discourage teams from having safety measures for their jumps - if you have something below the jump, your jump could fail but still have the vehicle land on a different part of the track.

Correction: No, that's stupid. It's talking about the part of the track that the vehicle lands on, so it should be referencing that specific part of the track. The reason it's based on the track is so that competitors can't have inconsistent jumps - but they should still just measure that one jump. My bad.
These users thanked the author Tesel for the post:
hicanha (October 2nd, 2020, 12:16 am)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions

Return to “Roller Coaster B”