dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by dholdgreve »

TowerPro+2500 wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:I don't think it is required that it spans the entire opening, but what IS required is that the chain drops to within 2.5 cm of the center of the 20 cm x 20 cm opening in the table top. I can't visualize your design, but I can't imagine how this is possible with a triangle tower that only wraps 2 sides of the opening. On our testing table we have a 20 cm x 20 cm opening cut through the 3/4" thick top. We then took a 1/4" thick piece of plywood and mounted it to the under side of the table across the entire opening cut above. Then we drilled a 5 cm diameter hole directly in the center of the 20 x 20 opening. If your chain doesn't drop through that circle without hanging on the edge of it, it does not pass muster... sorry.
Thanks, I must have missed the rule about within 2.5 cm of the opening. The chain doesn't hang on the edge, but there is no way that it is within 2.5 cm of the opening.
Suggest you read over Rule 3.b once again.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Cow481
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

Anyone know if the chimney is under compression or tension or both.
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Cow481 wrote:Anyone know if the chimney is under compression or tension or both.
Just stop and think about what's going on..... This is really basic.

Load block is sitting on top of the chimney; bucket is pulling down on the load block, so the force created is pushing down on the top of the tower - compressing it. The legs (chimney and base) are under pure compression loading. Brace pieces can/will see both compression and tension loading.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Cow481
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

Balsa Man wrote:
Cow481 wrote:Anyone know if the chimney is under compression or tension or both.
Just stop and think about what's going on..... This is really basic.

Load block is sitting on top of the chimney; bucket is pulling down on the load block, so the force created is pushing down on the top of the tower - compressing it. The legs (chimney and base) are under pure compression loading. Brace pieces can/will see both compression and tension loading.
Thanks
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Not sure if this has been asked already, but is there any benefit to adding a single horizontal brace on each side where the base meets the chimney?
TowerPro+2500
Been thanked: 0

Post by TowerPro+2500 »

I found that a horizontal bracing helps with the compression load as it prevents the the legs for crunching in.

-Hope this helps
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

TheSquaad wrote:Not sure if this has been asked already, but is there any benefit to adding a single horizontal brace on each side where the base meets the chimney?
This has been asked and answered a number of times.
The tops of the base segments are pushing in toward each other with a force of a bit over 2kg (with a 15kg tower load). Yes, you need ladder pieces (the horizontal braces you refer to) right at the top of the base section to brace against this.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
LiveMas

Post by LiveMas »

I have been thinking about this for a while, but just wanted to hear your thoughts about it.

What if someone mad e a coverall tower, which is basically a tower without any crossections, but rather 1/32 or 1/64 sheets covering all sides of the tower (using lightest density).
Would this work?
LiveMas

Post by LiveMas »

I am sure it will hold all 15 kgs!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

LiveMas wrote:I have been thinking about this for a while, but just wanted to hear your thoughts about it.

What if someone mad e a coverall tower, which is basically a tower without any crossections, but rather 1/32 or 1/64 sheets covering all sides of the tower (using lightest density).
Would this work?
It might work, depending on the thickness. I doubt it would be very competitive, especially since using sheets of wood that small means it's very likely that the sheets have some weak points.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Towers B/C”