Towers B/C

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Towers B/C

Post by MadCow2357 »

Should I do bracings inside as well as the outside (bottom half of tower)?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mcqaf0 ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10y3tuF ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17C4O9A ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZRe1kL ... sp=sharing
Sorry if my question is unclear, and I may have inserted the images wrong.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

I also did zig zag bracings this time, but I was wondering if x braces might have been the better choice in this case.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSquaad »

Where should the connection between the base and chimney be relative to the 20cm mark? Our team sees two main options:

Option A: Have the chimney legs meet the base right at the 20cm height barely inside the 8cm circle. This allows a steeper base leg angle, but it also requires a shallower chimney leg angle in order to center under the 5cm block (at 8cm, the maximum distance between chimney legs is about 5.4cm, so the difference is not huge)

Option B: Have the base legs extend up past the 20cm height into the circle until they are 5cm apart (so they'd be right under the block). We would lean in the chimney legs slightly so at the top, they'd be about 4.5cm apart. This makes the base legs longer with a slightly sharper angle, but the chimney legs can be shorter with a steeper angle.

These differences are very small, but our team is trying to get every advantage possible. Considering most of our towers seem to break right above the chimney/base ladder, we are leaning towards option B to make the chimney legs slightly shorter. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

all else being equal, (leg density, leg strength) you are better off making the bottom less steep.
seadog
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by seadog »

TheSquaad wrote:Where should the connection between the base and chimney be relative to the 20cm mark? Our team sees two main options:

Option A: Have the chimney legs meet the base right at the 20cm height barely inside the 8cm circle. This allows a steeper base leg angle, but it also requires a shallower chimney leg angle in order to center under the 5cm block (at 8cm, the maximum distance between chimney legs is about 5.4cm, so the difference is not huge)

Option B: Have the base legs extend up past the 20cm height into the circle until they are 5cm apart (so they'd be right under the block). We would lean in the chimney legs slightly so at the top, they'd be about 4.5cm apart. This makes the base legs longer with a slightly sharper angle, but the chimney legs can be shorter with a steeper angle.

These differences are very small, but our team is trying to get every advantage possible. Considering most of our towers seem to break right above the chimney/base ladder, we are leaning towards option B to make the chimney legs slightly shorter. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
What type of bracing are you using for the chimney? X's and ladders ? Also What size wood are you bracing the chimney with? I use option A and have been able to hold nearly 14 kg. It all depends on the bracing you are using for the chimney.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

seadog wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Where should the connection between the base and chimney be relative to the 20cm mark? Our team sees two main options:

What type of bracing are you using for the chimney? X's and ladders ? Also What size wood are you bracing the chimney with? I use option A and have been able to hold nearly 14 kg. It all depends on the bracing you are using for the chimney.
We are using pure X's with a ladder at the top of the chimney and base. 1/32 bracing, but we're attempting to use lighter density. How heavy is your current tower that holds 14?
seadog
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

You may want to try x's and ladders for the chimney portion of the tower as the main segments undergo a lot of compression. Next time you test a tower make sure to look at the chimney and check if the braces are bending or warping while you are loading. This will give you a clear indication whether or not you should use ladders on the chimney. Also where the base connects to the chimney there tends to be a lot of torsion or twisting when the tower is loading. Make sure that are is braced securely next time. The chimney of my tower weighed 2.81 grams and held 14 kg.

Seadog
jocoboxo

Post by jocoboxo »

Hello. This is my first time doing towers and this may seem really basic, but I just wanted to make sure I understand the rules for the 5000 g bonus. Does this mean that the points where the base touches the testing surface must be outside of the 29 cm diameter circle or does the entire base have to stay outside the circle?
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

jocoboxo wrote:Hello. This is my first time doing towers and this may seem really basic, but I just wanted to make sure I understand the rules for the 5000 g bonus. Does this mean that the points where the base touches the testing surface must be outside of the 29 cm diameter circle or does the entire base have to stay outside the circle?
The points where the base touches the testing surface needs to be outside the 29 cm diameter circle to get the bonus
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

jocoboxo wrote:Hello. This is my first time doing towers and this may seem really basic, but I just wanted to make sure I understand the rules for the 5000 g bonus. Does this mean that the points where the base touches the testing surface must be outside of the 29 cm diameter circle or does the entire base have to stay outside the circle?
The former is correct - to get the bonus, the tower must not touch the Test Base inside the circle prior to failure, and per these FAQs (and the identical Div C ones), must also carry at least some sand.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Towers B/C”