Towers B/C

DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by DarthBuilder »

What were scores for both divisions that people got?
Deleted
stevepilot
Division: C
State: IA

Post by stevepilot »

2480 C
ST
2018 - Optics, Thermodynamics, Towers.

In memory of Len Joeris (Balsa Man)

2018 Towers - 4th
Bagman82

aRe: Towers B/C

Post by Bagman82 »

I don't think it is entirely correct that uneven loading doesn't matter. Yes the load is always transferred from the chain to the loading block which is a fixed location. So yes the load is always transferred at that location. However, The chain will always extend from the attachment of the chain to the load block, to center of gravity of the bucket. And center of gravity of the bucket will always seek out to be directly below the point of attachment of the chain to the loading block (center of load block). If the bucket is unevenly loaded, the bucket c.g. will shift over to the side that is heavier. At this split second of time the chain is not directly vertical but is at a small angle. Therefore, the load in the chain is at an angle which will give it a lateral component in addition to it's vertical component. This lateral component will also transfer into the tower at the attachment of the chain to the loading block which could affect tower performance. This only lasts for that split second until the bucket c.g. swings back into place under the center of the load block.
stevepilot
State: IA

Post by stevepilot »

Oh ok, thanks
ST
2018 - Optics, Thermodynamics, Towers.

In memory of Len Joeris (Balsa Man)

2018 Towers - 4th
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

wzhang5460 wrote:Was the testing device for towers tilted? I heard that many teams go significantly less than they expected and broke in the same place. Gelinas also got less than we were expecting. Is this a coincidence?
Oh yeah completely agree my tower broke at 7175 grams, it was designed to hold 12+ kilos. Scored 1533, what can I say?

Also yes the sand did not fall in the middle. It probably would have been better if teams loaded by hand :lol: .
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Towers B/C”