You could buy the glue somewhere in denver before going to fort collins
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
reed303
Has thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by reed303 »

According to https://www.hobbytown.com/search?s=glue ... l=77&lg=fl the Fort Collins store carries this and the other BSI aka Pitsco glues

I would suggest calling them to confirm
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

reed303 wrote:According to https://www.hobbytown.com/search?s=glue ... l=77&lg=fl the Fort Collins store carries this and the other BSI aka Pitsco glues

I would suggest calling them to confirm
That’s what I was looking at too.
Deleted
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

I know this is very very very late in the season, but I am going to design a final tower that will hopefully help me break the 2000 score mark. After rereading through Balsa Man's (may he rest in peace) lengthy Euler's critical load formula, I finally understood at least some of the stuff he was talking about. But I do still have some things I have questions about:
Balsa Man wrote:For our “design strength” for this analysis, we’ll use 4499gr, which is applying a 10% safety factor to the 4090gr force a base segment leg in B tower meeting the 29cm circle bonus will see at a 15kg tower load.
Does this 4499g only apply to square base towers? I can only build rectangular base towers, since I do not have access to a good jig.
Balsa Man wrote: E = the modulus of elasticity (aka Young’s modulus) of column material. This is the inherent stiffness of a piece of wood; it doesn’t depend on, it doesn’t have a relationship to size/cross section. It does have a linear relationship to the density. As discussed in previous posts, as wood density increases, E increases. On average, if you double the density (increase it by a factor 2), E goes up by a factor of about 2.25, but there is significant “variation around the mean”- two sticks, same size and same weight can have significantly different E values, which means significantly different BSs. This is what I was talking about when I noted wood is not a homogeneous material.
Does this mean that if I have a 0.4g 12" 1/8"*1/8" stick, I should get a elasticity of about 0.45g? I am a little confused on whether I need to use certain units (eg pounds per cubic foot, but I don't know how to calculate that) for the equation to work properly.
Balsa Man wrote: I = minimum area moment of inertia (sometimes referred to as the 2nd moment of inertia) of the cross section of the column. For a square cross section leg, where the length of the sides are x, I = (x^4)/12. (that’s x to the fourth power, divided by 12
What is the minimum moment of inertia? I am still in middle school, so I apologize for not getting basic physics concepts.
And what are inverse square calculations?

Again, sorry for asking pretty basic questions. I will admit that the tower design I have been using for the last month or two was not formulated from any math. ;)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

So my partner and I were planning to build our final tower for nats on Tuesday next week and then take it with us on a plane. However, today we got a note saying the Div B team is driving their builds to nationals and can take some of our stuff, but they are leaving tomorrow.

My question is, if we built our competition tower tonight, would it weaken between now and nationals (a week from today)? We would prefer to not have to take a tower on the plane, so building it farther in advance would be more convenient.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

It's definitely a risk to travel with the tower in any way, though traveling by car is definitely safer for the tower. CA glue joints will take a few weeks to deteriorate, if that's what you're wondering. At least, that's what the general consensus came to be after some discussion in the forum. ;)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
cheese

Post by cheese »

MadCow2357 wrote:It's definitely a risk to travel with the tower in any way, though traveling by car is definitely safer for the tower. CA glue joints will take a few weeks to deteriorate, if that's what you're wondering. At least, that's what the general consensus came to be after some discussion in the forum. ;)
Yeah CA will take a few weeks to go bad, but you still want 24-48 hours to let it fully dry based on my trials.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

I know this is very very very late in the season, but I am going to design a final tower that will hopefully help me break the 2000 score mark. After rereading through Balsa Man's (may he rest in peace) lengthy Euler's critical load formula, I finally understood at least some of the stuff he was talking about. But I do still have some things I have questions about:
Balsa Man wrote:For our “design strength” for this analysis, we’ll use 4499gr, which is applying a 10% safety factor to the 4090gr force a base segment leg in B tower meeting the 29cm circle bonus will see at a 15kg tower load.
Does this 4499g only apply to square base towers? I can only build rectangular base towers, since I do not have access to a good jig.
Balsa Man wrote: E = the modulus of elasticity (aka Young’s modulus) of column material. This is the inherent stiffness of a piece of wood; it doesn’t depend on, it doesn’t have a relationship to size/cross section. It does have a linear relationship to the density. As discussed in previous posts, as wood density increases, E increases. On average, if you double the density (increase it by a factor 2), E goes up by a factor of about 2.25, but there is significant “variation around the mean”- two sticks, same size and same weight can have significantly different E values, which means significantly different BSs. This is what I was talking about when I noted wood is not a homogeneous material.
Does this mean that if I have a 0.4g 12" 1/8"*1/8" stick, I should get a elasticity of about 0.45g? I am a little confused on whether I need to use certain units (eg pounds per cubic foot, but I don't know how to calculate that) for the equation to work properly.
Balsa Man wrote: I = minimum area moment of inertia (sometimes referred to as the 2nd moment of inertia) of the cross section of the column. For a square cross section leg, where the length of the sides are x, I = (x^4)/12. (that’s x to the fourth power, divided by 12
What is the minimum moment of inertia? I am still in middle school, so I apologize for not getting basic physics concepts.
And what are inverse square calculations?

Again, sorry for asking pretty basic questions. I will admit that the tower design I have been using for the last month or two was not formulated from any math. ;)

I also apologize for double posting, but I am on a real time crunch before nationals and I want to get as much done as possible.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:I know this is very very very late in the season, but I am going to design a final tower that will hopefully help me break the 2000 score mark.
I also apologize for double posting, but I am on a real time crunch before nationals and I want to get as much done as possible.
Okay I have never competed in Balsa events, but I have read through Balsa Man's methods for designing and it is NOT something you can just read, understand, and implement properly. PLEASE do yourself a favor and focus on building the best tower you can using methods you have been using throughout the year and delve into experimenting with new methods AFTER nationals. You have many years of Scioly ahead of you to experiment with these methods and improve, but 1 week before nationals is NOT the time for this
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

The inverse square relation is that if you divide the lenght of a stick by 2, then the buckling strength will increase 4 times, likewise if you divide the lenght by 4 then the buckling strength will be 16 times more.

So lets say you have a 91.5 cm stick with a BS of 30. For your 27 cm chimney with 5 X bracings, each interval is 5.4 cm.
To calculate the BS of each interval:
5.4/91.5 = 0.059
.059^2 = 0.003481
1/0.003481 = 287.27
287.27 * 30 = 8,618
If you use X bracings only then you multiply this number by 0.55
8,618 * 0.55 = 4,740
Each leg can hold 4,740 grams, so multiplying this by 4, your chimney could hold 18,960 grams.
You can do your own calculation like this by substituting your own values.
I am also in div B and don’t understand physics stuff, but just know how to use the calculations. ;)

Return to “Towers B/C”