How much of the tower can be constructed with adhesives?

JamesRAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How much of the tower can be constructed with adhesives?

Post by JamesRAHS »

I was curious about peoples interpretations of the rules on what percentage of adhesives and glue we can use in the construction of our towers. It does mention that composites aren't allowed for major structure elements because of wood based 3d printing. But if it isn't a composite, if I am literally 3D printing glue, how much of it can I use on my tower? To clarify, I am not sure it is a good idea, however I would be interested to see if it is possible.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: How much of the tower can be constructed with adhesives?

Post by Unome »

This is an interesting question. I'm not sure what the threshold between being wood bonded by glue and using glue as a structural material would be.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

I'd say that the way the rules are written you could have a structure that is 99.999% adhesive since they specifically say that you can laminate the wood. So put one little sliver at the top, one at the bottom and call the rest lamination.

But I'm also the guy most likely to get crosswise with the judges.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Raleway »

I mean sure you could do that... but glue is way heavier than Balsa if you were to use it at that level and would definitely have much less strength at any competitive mass... game on I guess? (I hate myself for puns)
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Random Human
Been thanked: 0

Post by Random Human »

JamesRAHS wrote:I was curious about peoples interpretations of the rules on what percentage of adhesives and glue we can use in the construction of our towers. It does mention that composites aren't allowed for major structure elements because of wood based 3d printing. But if it isn't a composite, if I am literally 3D printing glue, how much of it can I use on my tower? To clarify, I am not sure it is a good idea, however I would be interested to see if it is possible.

Uh, yeah I guess that works, you can print like a "glue tower". and put 2 pieces of wood in outside of your glue, so you can claim that the glue is acting like an adhesive. Intresting idea, but glue isn't efficient compared to balsa.
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

The rules specifically state that the tower is to be"constructed of wood and bonded by adhesive." To me, this means that the majority of the tower should be made of wood, with only the joints (nodes) held with adhesive. With regard to "lamination," I would interpret this as (2) or more pieces of wood held together laterally (not longitudinally) by adhesive. The rules clearly define adhesive as the "substance used to join two or more materials together."
I do not believe that the 3-D material could possibly be considered as an adhesive. I'd suggest you also review the General Rules on the inside rear cover that state that "Teams are expected to make an honest effort to follow the rules and the spirit of the problem (not interpret the rules so they have an unfair advantage)." Since not all teams have access to 3-D printing capabilities, this would be a violation on this rule.

in short, adhesives connect the structural pieces of the tower. If your adhesive is doing more than connecting, it is no longer an adhesive, but a structural member of the tower and should not be allowed, since it is not wood... Just my 2 cents.

You may have a better argument claiming that it is "cellulose" a byproduct of wood... but I wouldn't buy that one either! :)
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

dholdgreve wrote:The rules specifically state that the tower is to be"constructed of wood and bonded by adhesive." To me, this means that the majority of the tower should be made of wood, with only the joints (nodes) held with adhesive. With regard to "lamination," I would interpret this as (2) or more pieces of wood held together laterally (not longitudinally) by adhesive. The rules clearly define adhesive as the "substance used to join two or more materials together."
I do not believe that the 3-D material could possibly be considered as an adhesive. I'd suggest you also review the General Rules on the inside rear cover that state that "Teams are expected to make an honest effort to follow the rules and the spirit of the problem (not interpret the rules so they have an unfair advantage)." Since not all teams have access to 3-D printing capabilities, this would be a violation on this rule.

in short, adhesives connect the structural pieces of the tower. If your adhesive is doing more than connecting, it is no longer an adhesive, but a structural member of the tower and should not be allowed, since it is not wood... Just my 2 cents.

You may have a better argument claiming that it is "cellulose" a byproduct of wood... but I wouldn't buy that one either! :)
Yup, agree this becomes at some point a 'spirit of the rules' problem/violation. But the whole idea is like counting/speculating the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin (as in meaningless), because glue/3-D printing material is SO much heavier than wood; you'll never get anything approaching decent efficiency...
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Towers B/C”