Tower Base

Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tower Base

Post by Chameleon02 »

Thanks Balsa Man for that detailed post on the jigs... I think I understand it now. I was having trouble visualizing the tower on the jig in my mind... One thing that would help clarify for anyone who still has questions or confusion would be a picture of a tower on the jig. This would also help me in fully understanding the fundamentals.
While I would prefer to get laser cut sheets for my jig, I think I will settle for cutting foam boards, as I have an invitational in 2 weeks...
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tower Base

Post by Balsa Man »

Chameleon02 wrote:Thanks Balsa Man for that detailed post on the jigs... I think I understand it now. I was having trouble visualizing the tower on the jig in my mind... One thing that would help clarify for anyone who still has questions or confusion would be a picture of a tower on the jig. This would also help me in fully understanding the fundamentals.
While I would prefer to get laser cut sheets for my jig, I think I will settle for cutting foam boards, as I have an invitational in 2 weeks...
You're welcome.
Don't have any photos yet of this year's towers on jigs. Do have, though, a couple from last year. The jig seen here is a cruciform jig- it is a 4-panel w/ center post setup version; this was before we figured out the better 2-panel slot-cut approach. But how the tower goes on the jig plates is the same, so you can see how that works. This is a ladders and Xs tower, before we switched to an all Xs approach. The other difference is that this one has plastic angle iron glued along the edges of the jig panels to hold the legs. This was before we figured out that 3-d printed 'leg holder strips' were a better way to hold the legs along the jig plate edges. You can see the angle iron (which you can get on-line, or at any Hobbytown store) - it is white. If you go back to the 2017 archive, you'll find detailed discussion of how to line up the angle iron on the jig plate edges to glue it down. The pieces of blue masking tape are how you secure the legs in-place on the jig during tower construction. Note that at one end of each tape piece the tape is folded back on itself, providing a ...pull-away tab- a way to easily pull the tape off when done and ready to take the tower off the jig.

Hope this helps visualize what we're talking about.
Here's link to a google doc w/ the photos:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1414 ... sp=sharing
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Towers B/C”