My score

nnaya
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My score

Post by nnaya »

I am wondering if it is worth it to try such a tower.
Seems like it can be simple enough to build, if I had the right math. Just enough to support the loading block assembly including chain.

If a rule clarification is imminent though, I would try for a normal tower.
Are we seeing a lot of people trying this kind of risky super light tower at invitationals?
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

no, havent seen any

Its way too risky and in the long run, not gonna work
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

The real risk is in knowing (or more accurately, NOT knowing) what the chain weighs. I've seen loading block assemblies weigh as little as 115 grams and as much as 600 grams, depending on the chain. The only safe way to proceed is to take (2) towers to a competition and, after seeing what is being used to test, make a decision if you want to go with the super light or standard tower, based on the weight of chain being used. The super light tower can be pre-tested to a certain load, which minimizes the risk of not carrying the loading block assembly. Many E/Cs will even let you weigh the assembly ahead of time to determine which tower to use.

The other major risk is the E/C!... I'm sure there are some out there that may feel this is somehow a violation of the General Rule about spirit of the competition, even though technically, it complies with all parts of the specific event rules.. You are only allowed to check in one tower, so if you plan on this direction, you better first double check with the E/C BEFORE check in and get their opinion on your intended course, to make sure you are both on the same page... Far better to arbitrate before testing than after!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad

Post by DarthBuilder »

I’ve seen 1 at the solon invite. It broke during setup.........
Deleted
nnaya

Post by nnaya »

Yes it would be a gamble.
If lucky, the block, bolt and chain will be lightweight aluminum and allows the gambling team to handily beat the competition. Tempting.
But unfair to the teams who put in weeks of repeated building, testing not to mention expenses. :roll:
Eh, I hope they come up with a rule clarification soon to disqualify such towers then. Or as you suggested to not allow the bonus.
I dislike grey areas.
Random Human

Post by Random Human »

TheBanana wrote:I made a tower that according to all of my tests it scored a 5000 efficiency is that good, it hasn’t yet bin entered into any compititians so I was just wondering if it would be a good tower to enter
TheBanana- Unfortunately, that's quite a low score. Most of us are scoring around 25000-30000 (if you dug through the forums). Keep working! If you would attach a picture, maybe we can give you suggestions on how to improve!
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

nnaya wrote:Yes it would be a gamble.
If lucky, the block, bolt and chain will be lightweight aluminum and allows the gambling team to handily beat the competition. Tempting.
But unfair to the teams who put in weeks of repeated building, testing not to mention expenses. :roll:
Eh, I hope they come up with a rule clarification soon to disqualify such towers then. Or as you suggested to not allow the bonus.
I dislike grey areas.
Make no mistake, ultra light towers take weeks of design and build as well to get a structure that will carry the assembly while weighing less than 2 grams.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

FYI, the clarification that has been discussed is now official: