Tower Transportation

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tower Transportation

Post by retired1 »

Years ago, I built a box out of scrap plywood for a base and scrap cheap paneling for sides and a cut to fit piece of scrap so that it fit with a lip for the top. On the bottom, I put 2 layers of bath towel to absorb shock. The tower was maintained erect with thin rubber bands (scraps from wright stuff or choppers) attached to the top sides. Snug, but no stress. Actually, this box held 3 towers.
You could easily do the same with some heavy cardboard and duct tape. The box MUST remain vertical. The back seat or just behind the driver are probably the best spots. More duct tape.
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

cheese wrote:Just to brainstorm, what have you guys used for long travels on a bus or plane? Last year for nationals, a parent drove all of the way with a bunch of builds, but this year I doubt that. I will have to bring it on the 13-14 hour long bus ride.
For planes, I would just make a small box that just fits the tower and put it between my legs on the floor.

For long buses, just treat it like a regular bus ride but just longer.
(I can’t really see any difference between a 4 hour bus ride and a 14 hour bus ride except that it is longer)
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by scioly2345 »

bobthebuilderman wrote:Hey, Bob here,

Any tips or ideas on storing a tower and moving it? Mine recently broke, and I was a little worried.

Thanks,

Bob
What i use is a white tupperware like box from walmart, its about 90-100cm in length and 40-50 cm wide, with a height going to about 15cm. My tower width is only 4cm, and the bottom spans 30cm by 4cm (cause i usually and regularly go for the bonus) so i usually can fit two VERY WELL WRAPPED IN LOTS AND LOTS OF BUBBLE WRAP towers in the box. Ive never had too much of a problem with tower transporting, like the towers breaking. If i have ever had a problem, its been that my bottom lap joint ladders sometimes break, but rarely. I definitely recommend this, and yes ive seem alternatives for towers with square bases instead of rectangles
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “Towers B/C”