scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oh Man, states time

Post by scioly2345 »

Hey all. First of all, all my condolences for Len's family, may Len rest in peace <3

My team had regionals early this year, 2/10. But now is the time where I need to start testing towers for states, as my efficiencies have been pretty good, 1897 ish (which for NYS isn't too bad). Ive been able to get my tower weight to 5g. I need some advice.

Joints- now I've only been doing towers for 2 years now, but I still don't think I'm using the right joints. For zig zags, is it butt joint or lap Joints? Ladders? Xs? I've mostly been using lap joints.

Bracing- THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION. all of this season I've had success with 1/16 by 1/16 specialized balsa company for bracing. Could I go to lower dimensions for less weight? Or should I stick to the 1/16 by 1/16?

Design wise, I'm testing some new ones to come. I might go for Xs and ladders, but for three comps this year I've used zig zags with random support sticks, which has worked.

Thanks all,
-scioly2345
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Oh Man, states time

Post by WhatScience? »

scioly2345 wrote:Hey all. First of all, all my condolences for Len's family, may Len rest in peace <3

My team had regionals early this year, 2/10. But now is the time where I need to start testing towers for states, as my efficiencies have been pretty good, 1897 ish (which for NYS isn't too bad). Ive been able to get my tower weight to 5g. I need some advice.

Joints- now I've only been doing towers for 2 years now, but I still don't think I'm using the right joints. For zig zags, is it butt joint or lap Joints? Ladders? Xs? I've mostly been using lap joints.

Bracing- THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION. all of this season I've had success with 1/16 by 1/16 specialized balsa company for bracing. Could I go to lower dimensions for less weight? Or should I stick to the 1/16 by 1/16?

Design wise, I'm testing some new ones to come. I might go for Xs and ladders, but for three comps this year I've used zig zags with random support sticks, which has worked.

Thanks all,
-scioly2345
If you make the main frame by 1/8 and the bracings 1/32 Xs (with a lots of Xs) it would be goood
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Re: Oh Man, states time

Post by dholdgreve »

I
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"