Cost

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Cost

Post by Unome »

Raleway wrote:Towers- 2000-3000 dollars; iterations, design, failed towers, and in general wood is expensive. Even with sheets, the price can easily ratchet up with selection
From a thread in General Chat. Does it really get that expensive? I've generally heard more like $200-300 at the high end.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cost

Post by WhatScience? »

Unome wrote:
Raleway wrote:Towers- 2000-3000 dollars; iterations, design, failed towers, and in general wood is expensive. Even with sheets, the price can easily ratchet up with selection
From a thread in General Chat. Does it really get that expensive? I've generally heard more like $200-300 at the high end.
I can't think of a single scenario where towers can cost more than 400 dollars over the season. Unless you have multiple teams chruning out like 3-4 towers a week.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Maybe 2000-3000 was a high estimate, but definitely in the ballpark of 1500, especially when you have more than 2 people on the event.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

We had 9 kids building on 3 different teams... Provided some material to a high school team, and assisted yet another local team with design and material help. All in all, we built over 30 towers this year, competed with 17 of these towers in invitational competitions and placed with all but 3 of them (So yes, they were competitive)... Total cost for the season, including glue and blades was under $450.00. If you truly are spending $1,500 on just a couple teams, I'd be happy to sell you some of our extra supplies! ;)
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
pjspol

Post by pjspol »

The cost depends on what kind of jig you make and what specifications you order for wood. 36" x 1/16" x 1/32" sticks specified to a given amount of pounds per cubic foot cost about $8.25 each from Specialized Balsa, but if you cut your own, the 36" x 4" x 1/32 sheet also specified for density and with straight edges will cost roughly $5.74.

Out of curiosity, from where do you typically get funding?
cheese

Post by cheese »

I am very surprised at how expensive towers can get for some teams. I spend about $10 on a sheet of thin plywood that I laser cut at school and used hot glue to put together. I buy sheets of balsa for around $2 each, I have bought less than 20 sheets so $40. I made some balsa strippers, but I also bought one on amazon for $15. Spent around $40 on glue, and $5 on 100 pipettes. That adds up to around $110, and that is for all of this season, and last season. I feel that I have been very competitive with this much spending.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

pjspol wrote:The cost depends on what kind of jig you make and what specifications you order for wood. 36" x 1/16" x 1/32" sticks specified to a given amount of pounds per cubic foot cost about $8.25 each from Specialized Balsa, but if you cut your own, the 36" x 4" x 1/32 sheet also specified for density and with straight edges will cost roughly $5.74.

Out of curiosity, from where do you typically get funding?
The company I work for (i.e. "day job") generously supports my obsession by granting time off when needed and an annual allowance of $650.00 for use in procuring materials for the events that I coach... Balsa structures, Crimebusters, and Potions.

Signed,
Very Thankful!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “Towers B/C”