How are you guys planning to build the base of the two part towers for Division B?

Fammioli
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How are you guys planning to build the base of the two part towers for Division B?

Post by Fammioli »

As a side note, what would be the sturdiest way to connect the base to the top half of the tower? My school is doing it for the first time, and I'm stuck with half the builds, and so is my partner for towers, and we could use all the help we can get. Thank you.
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Re: How are you guys planning to build the base of the two part towers for Division B?

Post by Cow481 »

For non bonus: you need is 8 pieces of 1/8 x 1/16 or 1/32 with the grains facing upward

For bonus: just put the bracing right up to the joint so the glue from the bracing help inforce the glue you used join the two legs.
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
cool hand luke
State: TX

Re: How are you guys planning to build the base of the two part towers for Division B?

Post by cool hand luke »

rectangles? why rectangles? they are not as efficient in compression because it will buckle along the weak axis.
Cow481

Post by Cow481 »

cool hand luke wrote:rectangles? why rectangles? they are not as efficient in compression because it will buckle along the weak axis.
You put them as lap joints (on top of the legs)

Also put 1/8 x 1/8 wood at the top of the base part for compression
Medals

National Medals
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
Fammioli
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fammioli »

Cow481 wrote:
cool hand luke wrote:rectangles? why rectangles? they are not as efficient in compression because it will buckle along the weak axis.
As in 1/8^3, or as in a plank?
Cow481

Post by Cow481 »

Fammioli wrote:
Cow481 wrote:
As in 1/8^3, or as in a plank?
1/8 x 1/8 x however long the top of the base is
Medals

National Medals
M017
State: NE

Post by M017 »

My team usually builds them separately and leave about 1 cm of sanding room on each piece, then we sand until they are both level. They should fit perfectly, as long as the width measurements are correct.

Return to “Towers B/C”