Wright Stuff B

knowthewrightstuff
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff B

Post by knowthewrightstuff »

kylg wrote:So, how do you preorder the 2018 model? You go to freedom flight models, get his email, and request to pre-order? How would you pay him if it is in an email?
Yes, I am ordering kits through his email. You can email him at [email protected] and request whatever quantity of full or partial kits you prefer. He has a PayPal set up so that you can pay online. He sells all kinds of useful tools as well that our team is trying out, such as a torque meter!
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

I was browsing some old threads, and noticed something that was used to control the elevation of the plane called a torque burner by splitting up the rubber band into segments. Are these allowed in the competition?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Almandine wrote:I was browsing some old threads, and noticed something that was used to control the elevation of the plane called a torque burner by splitting up the rubber band into segments. Are these allowed in the competition?
As far as I'm aware, they're allowed. It can be useful in particularly low ceilings - essentially you get a climb, then descending, then the second rubber band kicks in and the plane climbs again. It's very difficult to use well though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Almandine wrote:I was browsing some old threads, and noticed something that was used to control the elevation of the plane called a torque burner by splitting up the rubber band into segments. Are these allowed in the competition?
Yes a torque burner will work but they are extremely hard to execute consistently.
Last years Natl Tournament was a 22’ site and was an excellent opportunity to use the technique. Unfortunately, after countless hours in trying to master the technique, Huntington MS (last years 1st place) finally gave up and went back to other methods to control the climb.
I’m not saying it can’t be done, I just feel those who can do it can probably be just as successful without it.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The two times I've seen it done right (and that was 15 or so years ago), the students grew up to be (among other things) world class F1D flyers (for those unfamiliar with indoor free flight, the world competition is flown with F1D class planes, about 1.4 gm, 55 cm wingspan, .4 gm rubber, 40+ minute flights).
Very hard to do right and as wisguy said, they were successful before they tried torque burners. I suspect it was the (indirect) competition between them that drove their attempts and successes.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Our experience last year was similar to Huntington. We spent (way too much) time trying to perfect TB's for the low Nationals ceiling, and in the end did not use them. We learned a LOT, and improved a lot, but in the end, given only 2 flight attempts in 8 minutes, we found that even a refined TB was not consistent enough for us to reach our goals.

It was a fun project, but in the end our time would have been better spent on fine tuning our rubber/prop combo.

I have not seen ceiling height for Nationals this year, but I doubt it will be anything that would drive us to pursue TB's again.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Thoughts on laser cutting a plane instead of using standard methods?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Almandine wrote:Thoughts on laser cutting a plane instead of using standard methods?
All kits are laser cut. If you have access to a cutter, it really speeds the build process and time required to make the wing spars and other complex shapes (like winglets, fins, etc). If not, cutting by hand is fine.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

General comments about laser cut.
- About the only thing that benefits from lasercut is curved pieces, in these planes that typically is only the ribs. And these are ridiculously easy to cut by hand with a simple pattern. The straight pieces can be cut by laser, but don't really benefit much, in fact you can probably select the wood better if you hand cut.
- Laser cutting, by its nature, tends to leave slanted edges with some degree of burning/soot. Not the best surface to glue to. This only matters at the glue joints of course, but you will get stronger joints if you sand of the char and square up the surface to get a good mating joint.
- How much char can be managed by controlling the parameters on the cutter, but in doesn't change the taper.
- Where lasers really shine is making self jigging assemblies to improve assembly without tools or jigs. Clever design might make this applicable to additional aircraft components, commonly used in modern radio control models. But you have to watch not to add weight to these light Wright Stuff planes.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
kylg
State: AL

Post by kylg »

Any tips on propeller sources? (other than Dave Ziegler). Any tips of making propellers from scratch?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''

Return to “Wright Stuff B”