Winders and rubber bands

Ethancheese123
Division: B
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Winders and rubber bands

Post by Ethancheese123 »

I'm new to scioly and I was wondering where to get winders and elastic bands or rubber bands for Wright Stuff.

Thanks
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Winders and rubber bands

Post by NeilMehta »

Ethancheese123 wrote:I'm new to scioly and I was wondering where to get winders and elastic bands or rubber bands for Wright Stuff.

Thanks
http://www.freedomflightmodels.com/paypal.htm supplies most WS components - maybe they have what you’re looking for?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Ethancheese123 wrote:I'm new to scioly and I was wondering where to get winders and elastic bands or rubber bands for Wright Stuff.

Thanks
FAI model supplies makes the rubber used by most kit builders. They also have winders and many other useful tools

http://www.faimodelsupply.com
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Previous poster already listed the ultimate source of rubber, FAI Model Supply, only issue is they have limited range of widths. You'll have to go to a reseller like Freedom Flight or Retro RC to get widths in between. Alternatively, you might be able to find a generous someone in your area who has a rubber stripper and will cut widths for you.

Winders can be found at MANY hobby stores brick and mortar or on-line. The one you want is the K&P winder in 10-1 or 15-1. The smaller one on this page: http://www.kpaero.com/ProductReport.asp ... ry1=rubber

Other brand winders are available, but none as nice as that one for the price.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Ethancheese123

Post by Ethancheese123 »

Thanks for the resources.

Another question: Whats the recommended size for the rubber? I got 1/8' but I felt like it was maybe a little too big. If anyone could give some suggestions that would be great.
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Ethancheese123 wrote:Thanks for the resources.

Another question: Whats the recommended size for the rubber? I got 1/8' but I felt like it was maybe a little too big. If anyone could give some suggestions that would be great.
1/8th is too thick for wright stuff, that's used for outdoor flying with much larger planes. 3/32" is what Laser Cut Planes provides in their kits, but you might want to go thinner, depending on your flights. If you're running out of winds before the plane lands, or if it's climbing too quickly, that's a sign to use thinner rubber, and if there's plenty of winds left when landing, use thicker rubber.

I suggest grabbing more than one width, maybe 3/32", and something thinner than that like 0.070".
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

If you are building to weight, these props are rather small. You may find you need to be close to 1/16" rubber width, give or take. I believe we are generally just under 1/16, but others may be closer to 0.070", depending on prop pitch and chord. Even with the hard plastic (red) props I suspect you will be closer to 1/16" than 3/32". If you cannot adjust pitch easily, then you will want to have a selection of rubber width to try. Its all about matching prop and rubber.

Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

I have 0.052, 0.058, and 0.065 rubber.
It all depends on the plane.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I haven't seen it mentioned this year, but this is an important point.
After you have a plane to weight and a reasonable design, high times are all about matching rubber width to propeller design. 'Experts' can get you close, but the exact match can only be discovered by experimentation and analysis of YOUR results.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Almandine

Post by Almandine »

I am new to this event. Can someone give me a rundown on what I need to look for when getting winders and rubber bands?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY

Return to “Wright Stuff B”