Stalling and Gliding

BryantLi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stalling and Gliding

Post by BryantLi »

It's very hard to adjust the wing posts so that the angle is just right that the plane doesn't stall and doesn't just gradually glide downwards. Any suggestions?
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Stalling and Gliding

Post by Froggie »

Whenever that happens I just adjust stuff a lot and use trial and error. I don't know of any mathy, systematic ways to figure out where it's supposed to be.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

I also always just went with trial and error. It may be helpful to mark the wing posts each time you do with a different color, so you know how much adjustment worked and how much didn't - and also if the wingposts move at all during flight. Personally, I found it easier to correct stalling with just adding ballast at the front/back of the motor stick, or moving the entire wing forward or backward on the motor stick.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It is unclear exactly what the problem is:

1. Are the posts moving? Try building up with a bit of CA to tighten (be sure it kicks off before re-inserting)
2. Are you losing track of correct position? Mark on post (though that may change as you refine). Better, measure the height from motor stick in mm, and record in your log. LE and TE.
3. Is it super sensitive? Try moving CG forward. You will want at least 5-6 mm decalage for this year's design. If it is close to 0, move CG forward (ballast forward, or wing back) to reduce sensitivity.

Test with partially-wound rubber (glide tests usually do not show the whole picture). Adjust raising LE until it stalls during letdown. Then reduce LE until stall just goes away. This is a good starting point. Then adjust further using stopwatch.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff B”