Nationals

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Nationals

Post by Froggie »

I think part of running out of time was that the check in person always stopped the checking in (measuring the lengths) to watch the plane that was flying. This probably made the process go slower than it needed to be, and this might have caused people to be late to their next event (I had to switch partners while waiting in line, other teams’ partners were late/almost late).

A positive thing was the rubber. At some of the invitationals the way the ESs handeled the rubber was confusing, since we couldn’t touch the rubber until the 3 minute timer started (can we touch the rubber now? Did the timer already start??). However, at Nationals, it was really well set up (once I had to chase down the ES who had my rubber, but that’s ok). I knew when the timer started, when to get the rubber, when to start lubing, etc.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wlsguy »

Hello Everyone,

I finally got around to looking back at the raw scores at Nationals (without bonuses). I listed the top 10 and not just the medal places.
It's actually amazing how close the top 2 and then the top 10 actually were. It's good to see such a tight spread at Nationals.

From a statistical point of view:
19 teams had flights > 1:30
40 teams had flights > 1 minute
53 teams made their first flight < 3 minutes

1 Tower Heights Middle School 2:29.59
2 Albuquerque Area Homeschool - B 2:29.52
3 Huntington Middle 1:59.35
4 Hamilton Middle School 1:58.64
5 Springhouse Middle School 1:54.31
6 Jeffrey Trail Middle School 1:53.52
7 Hyde Park Middle School Academy 1:52.83
8 Piedmont IB Middle School 1:52.15
9 Meads Mill Middle School 1:49.04
10 Community Middle School 1:48.82

Thanks to everyone who participated, coaches, assisted, or otherwise made this a good event this season.
John Hance
Last edited by Unome on May 28th, 2018, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed accidental emoji
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I knew our 2nd place was tight, but wow...

Makes you think "what one little thing might have changed it"

So proud of my team, though. They worked hard to get a medal. Over 40 props tested, as it all came down to prop and rubber.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

coachchuckaahs wrote:I knew our 2nd place was tight, but wow...

Makes you think "what one little thing might have changed it"

So proud of my team, though. They worked hard to get a medal. Over 40 props tested, as it all came down to prop and rubber.

Coach Chuck
I believe anytime you can fly on the top 10 at Nationals, you should consider yourself a winner.
Many had flown over 2:30 at some point in the year. The 6 medalists just happened to have the right amount of luck on that particular day.
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Was it just me or did everyone use the same two kits?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
CMS AC
State: NJ

Post by CMS AC »

anyone know what is the div c event for the next 3/4 years? is it wright stuff, elastic, or heli?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

John: I think its more than luck, at least the separation from 2:00 to 2:29. The altitude had definite impact on the prop RPM. I saw a lot of planes that the RPM was just way high. Our experience having to go down in altitude other years was that the times did not change much if you adjusted your rubber. Thinner rubber was needed for the altitude. Some prop changes may have been needed as well.

Almandine: Our plane was custom design, based on some of Bill Gowen's published plans for LPP and SO, with some modifications. Tower Heights was also not a kit. There are several good kits out there, but they all leave some room. That said, any of the kits or personal designs could do well, but the work was in the prop and rubber, not the plane. A well-trimmed plane would do well only with a prop that was designed for the small diameter and low ceiling. Our design built at under 4g, leaving plenty of room for ballast adjustments. There were actually, in my observations, more variety in the planes this year, with a number of variations of a straight wing and tip plates (which is not a feature of either kit). Dave's kit flew well, as did Laser Cut Planes. Surprisingly few flaring props, and even fewer custom flaring (the few I saw appeared to be cut down Ikaras, and appeared too stiff). The stock narrow blade Ikara needed very thin rubber, and without flaring was difficult to manage in the low ceiling.

CMS: Initial indications are that some form of WS will be C event next two years, and ELG will be B division. Not clear yet if WS will be rubber or electric. Won't know for certain until the rules come out, but there will be indications from the summer gathering.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

coachchuckaahs wrote:John: I think its more than luck, at least the separation from 2:00 to 2:29. The altitude had definite impact on the prop RPM. I saw a lot of planes that the RPM was just way high. Our experience having to go down in altitude other years was that the times did not change much if you adjusted your rubber. Thinner rubber was needed for the altitude. Some prop changes may have been needed as well...
I agree but I know the Huntington team was flying over 2:30 just 2 days prior in Ft. Collins and had issues on the second flight (their 3rd place was their “safe” flight)

On the issue of kits, 26 of the 60 teams used FF kits. Several others used Lasercut (but we didn’t record it). The Huntington team used a custom plan which will be the basis of a kit available next year.
CMS AC
State: NJ

Post by CMS AC »

Was it the Finny18 design?
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

CMS AC wrote:Was it the Finny18 design?
No, it was similar to the Finny18 but was actually built before those plans were published.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”