Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

nobodynobody
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

Post by nobodynobody »

Crtomir wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:34 am How are cross section sizes accounted for?

Suppose the minimum contact width set by the event supervisor is 6 cm and Div-B students put their bottom two attachment points at (0, -0.20, +0.06) and (0, -0.20, -0.06). Now suppose their cross-section sizes for the two main compression members at those two attachment points is 10 mm x 10 mm. How is the cross-section size accounted for in determining if the students design meets the minimum contact width set by the event supervisor? Is the 10 mm x 10 mm cross section centered on the two attachment points and therefore the "measured" distance between them is actually 6 cm - (1/2)(10 mm) = 6 cm - 5 mm = 5.5 cm? Would this then be a construction violation? Do construction violations show up when the students "test" their structure? How can event supervisors determine if there is a construction violation? How can the students "measure" their digital Boomilever to double-check for construction violations before "testing" it?

In SkyCiv, the members are straight lines between nodes, so how can you how the cross-section of a member sits in relation to the member line? Is it always centered, or can it be changed?
Hello!

The contact width AND depth depends on the thickness of the wood, while contact load distance does not. The wood will be centered at the node you put it out, so I believe a 10mmx10mm piece of wood would extend 0.5cm past the minimum contact line (so yes, resulting in a contact width of 5.5cm).

As far as I know, the Event Supervisors will just see a short table with contact width, depth, load distance, efficiency (and possibly weight held + weight of boomi). You will be able to check if your boomilever contact width, depth, and load distance when you test (i believe it should be on the bottom left, above the performance score).
These users thanked the author nobodynobody for the post (total 4):
Crtomir (February 22nd, 2021, 8:54 am) • sneepity (February 22nd, 2021, 9:11 am) • AstroClarinet (February 22nd, 2021, 9:45 am) • Godspeed (February 22nd, 2021, 12:03 pm)
Class of '23
2021 events: Astro, Digi, SOM, WICI

"No." - Marie Curie
schr0dingerscat
State: OR
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by schr0dingerscat »

What are the best scores that people have been able to get? Even with the most optimal conditions, I have only been able to get a score of 3694.
Last edited by schr0dingerscat on April 5th, 2021, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pebble
Division: B
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

schr0dingerscat wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:41 pm What are the best scores that people have been able to get? Even with the most optimal conditions, I have only been able to get a score of 3694.
I have been able to get a score of around 13,500 with a contact depth of 20 cm, contact width of 30cm and a load distance of 20cm, I'm not sure about other people.
ok
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all!

We're running Digital Structures for this month's SMEC! To learn more, head over to our forums thread and register at the google form here!
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “2021 Build Events”