Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

rmsangad
Division: B
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Re: Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

Post by rmsangad »

Thank you for the explanation, it really helped! I had another question, after I test I see: Max Stress: 6.93989kPa. Does this number have a limit? Thank you!
Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

rmsangad wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:34 pm Thank you for the explanation, it really helped! I had another question, after I test I see: Max Stress: 6.93989kPa. Does this number have a limit? Thank you!
Yes, it seems that you are using medium density wood. This means that the maximum stress on a member would be 7 MPA, which is the limit to that member before it breaks under the pressure. was this what you were asking?
These users thanked the author Godspeed for the post:
rmsangad (January 16th, 2021, 10:31 am)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad

Post by bernard »

builderguy135 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:32 pm
rmsangad wrote: Also if a team can carry more than 15,000 g, will they be awarded extra points because I don't think SkyCiv checks that. I will appreciate and help and pointers. Thank you!
If a team carries more than 15000g, they will earn a 5000g bonus according to rule 5.c. However, this bonus is static and will not increase, even if a team holds much more than 15000g.

Hope this helps!
This is correct. Even though the structure capacity you see from SkyCiv might exceed 15,000 g, your score is calculated with the value capped at 15,000 g. It is helpful to see the real number and not the capped number since you want to adjust your structure to support just over 15,000 g and not much more.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 4):
sciolyperson1 (January 12th, 2021, 12:51 am) • sneepity (January 12th, 2021, 3:13 am) • Godspeed (January 12th, 2021, 1:26 pm) • rmsangad (January 16th, 2021, 10:41 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

Hi everyone,

Last year in boomilever, I would measure the mass of each compression member and used the SFPD method to calculate the right amount of bracings for my compression. Because SkyCiv is digital, I was wondering about other formulas/ways to calculate how to get the right compression sizes and figure out the right number of compression bracings if there are any. If not, is it more experimentation? I've been plugging in my past boomilever designs and tweaking section sizes and other specs so far, but I'm not sure if there's a more efficient way to do it (especially since at competition I'll only get 5 solves).

Also, in the Solve mode after testing, under the stress menu, what's the difference between Top Bending Z, Top Combined Z, Top Combined Y, etc?

Thanks!
rmsangad

Post by rmsangad »

Godspeed wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:35 pm
rmsangad wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:34 pm Thank you for the explanation, it really helped! I had another question, after I test I see: Max Stress: 6.93989kPa. Does this number have a limit? Thank you!
Yes, it seems that you are using medium density wood. This means that the maximum stress on a member would be 7 MPA, which is the limit to that member before it breaks under the pressure. was this what you were asking?
Yes this is what I was asking, thank you! So will using lighter balsa wood be a better idea in terms of overall score and stress it can endure? Thank you again.
Last edited by rmsangad on January 16th, 2021, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

rmsangad wrote: January 16th, 2021, 10:46 am
Yes this is what I was asking, thank you! So will using lighter balsa wood be a better idea in terms of overall score and stress it can endure? Thank you again.
Lighter balsa has a lower young's modulus, meaning that it's more rigid and deforms more easily. This also means that lighter balsa wood would be able to endure less stress.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Godspeed
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

rmsangad wrote: January 16th, 2021, 10:46 am
You may want to experiment with all of the woods. Light balsa has a Modulus of Elasticity of 2300 MPa (deforms easier), a density of 100 kg/m3 (lightest of the woods), and yield strength of 6 MPa. Medium wood, on the other hand, has a Modulus of Elasticity of 3000 MPa (stronger), a density of 130 kg/m3 (heavier), and a yield strength of 7 MPa. Heavy wood has a Modulus of Elasticity of 4100 MPa (strongest), a density of 180 kg/m3 (heaviest), and a yield strength of 8 MPa. One of these is better and more optimal than the others, but I won't be giving it away ;) you'll have to test all of them to figure out which works best.
Ramrod
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ramrod »

Quick question: The event supervisor gives you the length and width that your boomilever has to be on competition day, right?
These users thanked the author Ramrod for the post:
sneepity (January 23rd, 2021, 9:13 am)
Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

Ramrod wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:37 am Quick question: The event supervisor gives you the length and width that your boomilever has to be on competition day, right?
Yes, that should be what happens.
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post:
sneepity (January 24th, 2021, 7:57 am)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
SomeRandomGuy
State: NC
Has thanked: 0

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

What's the highest score people have gotten without bugs?
The best I can do is 3545.063. If anyone could tell me what they did, I'd appreciate it.

Return to “2021 Build Events”