Forensics C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Forensics C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Forensics C: Given a scenario and some possible suspects, participants will perform a series of tests which along with other evidence or test results will be used to solve a crime.

Forensics Wiki

Forensics Test Exchange

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. C

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
c21k
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by c21k »

Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
Did anyone see any other 'bigger' changes for this year?

Also, is there anyone willing to give some advice as to how to tell cotton and linen apart? I keep mixing them up
Forensics 3/4, Sounds 1/2, Fossils 2/8, MP 2/6, Mouse 1/7
R&M, Optics, XPD, WIDI, Dynamic, GeoMapp, (filler - IAT, Towers)

Troglodites Yorticus
Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

c21k wrote:Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
[...]
I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly, but wouldn't each team be allowed up to 2 sheets of paper?
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Person wrote:
[...]
I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly, but wouldn't each team be allowed up to 2 sheets of paper?
That looks right to me.

(this still leaves teams with more than they had when I first started competing).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:
Person wrote:
[...]
That looks right to me.

(this still leaves teams with more than they had when I first started competing).
I mean ig technically you're going down from 10 sheets to 2 :P

but anyways...
c21k wrote: Also, is there anyone willing to give some advice as to how to tell cotton and linen apart? I keep mixing them up
The key is in the burn test: while both will leave charred ends, cotton burns quite quickly, and when it stops burning, it leaves a really fine grey-ish ash where the fiber used to be. Linen burns for much longer, almost at a constant rate like a fuse on a bomb (like the kind you see on TV) while also giving off little sparks. While descriptions may help, I suggest you actually do the burn test for yourself to observe it so that you will know exactly what it looks like.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

MY CABBAGES!
c21k
State: CA

Post by c21k »

Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?
Forensics 3/4, Sounds 1/2, Fossils 2/8, MP 2/6, Mouse 1/7
R&M, Optics, XPD, WIDI, Dynamic, GeoMapp, (filler - IAT, Towers)

Troglodites Yorticus
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?
Yes.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
Yes.
What’s weird tho is that in the next line of rule 2.b. it says “This sheet” instead of something like “these sheets.” I guess if you interpret the rule before as each team member bringing a sheet, then it should still be two sheets, not one.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and may not reflect what SO, inc. actually intended with their wording. If this is something you want to clear up with them, submit an FAQ or Rule Clarification on soinc.org.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

pikachu4919 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Yes.
What’s weird tho is that in the next line of rule 2.b. it says “This sheet” instead of something like “these sheets.” I guess if you interpret the rule before as each team member bringing a sheet, then it should still be two sheets, not one.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and may not reflect what SO, inc. actually intended with their wording. If this is something you want to clear up with them, submit an FAQ or Rule Clarification on soinc.org.
I assume they worded it that way because the previous sentence only referred to a single participant's sheet, and there could technically be just one team member competing.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
RainbowMammoths

Post by RainbowMammoths »

Where did you find the rules? I can't find a link on the SciO wiki.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”