Forensics C

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Forensics C

Postby wec01 » April 3rd, 2019, 1:38 pm

Has anyone here gone to nationals and done forensics multiple times?
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils
Placings
Regionals/States/Nationals
Thermo: 2/1/-
Forensics: 2/1/-
Sounds: 3/1/-
Fossils: 1/1/-

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 617
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » April 3rd, 2019, 6:57 pm

wec01 wrote:Has anyone here gone to nationals and done forensics multiple times?


I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

CPScienceDude
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Location: A weird limbo between div b and c

Re: Forensics C

Postby CPScienceDude » April 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?

lol, *Hammond invy and IN State* and her tests are reallyyyyy different from any others I took. It's just something about them that makes them harder. The way they're set up makes it difficult to keep things straight, as we can't mark suspect sheets. Idk, they're just different and harder. Also, she doesn't explicitly state which unknowns are mixtures, which is annoying. It said all powders found on the suspects are suspected to be mixtures, but no mix. of 2 or 3, gotta figure it out.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Medals: 23
Hammond/Valpo/Regionals/State
Crime: 6/1/1/8
Exp Design: 2/x/x/x
Thermo: 3/9/1/4
Heredity: x/3/x/x
Mystery: x/x/1/4
Member of the Builder Cult
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 617
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » April 4th, 2019, 3:57 pm

CPScienceDude wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?

lol, *Hammond invy and IN State* and her tests are reallyyyyy different from any others I took. It's just something about them that makes them harder. The way they're set up makes it difficult to keep things straight, as we can't mark suspect sheets. Idk, they're just different and harder. Also, she doesn't explicitly state which unknowns are mixtures, which is annoying. It said all powders found on the suspects are suspected to be mixtures, but no mix. of 2 or 3, gotta figure it out.


The hardest thing about them is the length - it's always absurd in the wrong way. Like it'll be loaded with maybe 50+ easy trivia, and it just becomes a race of who can finish the most without screwing up. I really don't like it, but she doesn't change much at all, so it is what it is.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Forensics C

Postby wec01 » April 4th, 2019, 4:49 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?

lol, *Hammond invy and IN State* and her tests are reallyyyyy different from any others I took. It's just something about them that makes them harder. The way they're set up makes it difficult to keep things straight, as we can't mark suspect sheets. Idk, they're just different and harder. Also, she doesn't explicitly state which unknowns are mixtures, which is annoying. It said all powders found on the suspects are suspected to be mixtures, but no mix. of 2 or 3, gotta figure it out.


The hardest thing about them is the length - it's always absurd in the wrong way. Like it'll be loaded with maybe 50+ easy trivia, and it just becomes a race of who can finish the most without screwing up. I really don't like it, but she doesn't change much at all, so it is what it is.


Yeah, I remembered the nats test last year being like that and was hoping maybe it was a fluke, but looks like it wasn't.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils
Placings
Regionals/States/Nationals
Thermo: 2/1/-
Forensics: 2/1/-
Sounds: 3/1/-
Fossils: 1/1/-

fastllama
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: November 11th, 2018, 6:18 am

Re: Forensics C

Postby fastllama » April 7th, 2019, 4:55 pm

How would you recommend splitting the nationals test up? Should one person do testing on powders, polymers, fibers, etc and the other does the written portion? Should we do the analysis throughout the 50 minutes or complete it at the end?

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Forensics C

Postby wec01 » April 7th, 2019, 6:12 pm

fastllama wrote:How would you recommend splitting the nationals test up? Should one person do testing on powders, polymers, fibers, etc and the other does the written portion? Should we do the analysis throughout the 50 minutes or complete it at the end?

I wouldn't split it into identification and writing because the identification is a very large portion of it so both partners should work on identifying different things (e.g. one partner takes powders, chromatography, and mass spec while the other takes fibers, hairs, polymers, and fingerprints or something like that). As for whether you should do analysis throughout or at the end, I think that's more up to debate (I'm not sure whether one way is slower and/or more effective). In general though, just be mindful of time since there are going to be more samples than you're probably used to from regionals or states.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils
Placings
Regionals/States/Nationals
Thermo: 2/1/-
Forensics: 2/1/-
Sounds: 3/1/-
Fossils: 1/1/-

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 617
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » April 9th, 2019, 7:08 am

wec01 wrote:
fastllama wrote:How would you recommend splitting the nationals test up? Should one person do testing on powders, polymers, fibers, etc and the other does the written portion? Should we do the analysis throughout the 50 minutes or complete it at the end?

I wouldn't split it into identification and writing because the identification is a very large portion of it so both partners should work on identifying different things (e.g. one partner takes powders, chromatography, and mass spec while the other takes fibers, hairs, polymers, and fingerprints or something like that). As for whether you should do analysis throughout or at the end, I think that's more up to debate (I'm not sure whether one way is slower and/or more effective). In general though, just be mindful of time since there are going to be more samples than you're probably used to from regionals or states.


If you want to get everything done, you need to split the ID's amongst the two of you - how you choose to do it is up to you since you both need to discuss what you're most comfortable with and go from there, and that's something I can't really comment on. If you practice enough for first accuracy and then speed, it is definitely feasible to finish the ID portion (whether you'll get them correct depends on how Woz's mother is doing that day, but that's another issue in which I'll keep my opinions on it to myself). Regardless tho, try to set aside a good chunk of time to do the crime analysis and/or fill in easy trivia. Although they may not be worth as many points as ID's or getting the right suspect, they may make up for points you may miss in those sections anyways.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

fairfaxfan123
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 8th, 2019, 9:53 am

Re: Forensics C

Postby fairfaxfan123 » April 16th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Hi on the topic of nationals, does anyone know how the national supervisors want us to identify soil they physically give us. Last year they gave me actual soil and I didn't even touch it because I had no idea of the difference between silty and sandy loam just by touching it lol. If anyone knows how she wants us to do it it would be much appreciated.

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Forensics C

Postby wec01 » April 17th, 2019, 7:52 am

fairfaxfan123 wrote:Hi on the topic of nationals, does anyone know how the national supervisors want us to identify soil they physically give us. Last year they gave me actual soil and I didn't even touch it because I had no idea of the difference between silty and sandy loam just by touching it lol. If anyone knows how she wants us to do it it would be much appreciated.

Not sure, but I think the main things you can do are just to try to feel how grainy or fine it is, look at color, and maybe the microscope and/or magnifying glass would help too. Honestly though, I have no idea, I haven't really tried these things.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils
Placings
Regionals/States/Nationals
Thermo: 2/1/-
Forensics: 2/1/-
Sounds: 3/1/-
Fossils: 1/1/-


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests