Chemistry Lab C

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 540
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Chemistry Lab C

Postby pikachu4919 » June 30th, 2018, 11:45 am

Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » September 15th, 2018, 7:56 am

OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/RecommendedLabEquip_DivC.pdf

That's insane.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3670
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Unome » September 15th, 2018, 8:03 am

Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/RecommendedLabEquip_DivC.pdf

That's insane.

I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 281
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 15th, 2018, 8:06 am

Unome wrote:
Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/RecommendedLabEquip_DivC.pdf

That's insane.

I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.


While a similar requirement has been in place for Forensics for many years, this is a substantial change. I don't think it has been given much attention: I just noticed it myself. I think it will be burdensome to teams who are travelling by air...
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » September 15th, 2018, 8:09 am

Unome wrote:
Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/RecommendedLabEquip_DivC.pdf

That's insane.

I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.


In practice, how am I going to explain to my Chemistry teacher that I need to borrow all this lab equipment for the entire school year?

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 281
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

Jacobi wrote:
Unome wrote:
Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/RecommendedLabEquip_DivC.pdf

That's insane.

I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.


In practice, how am I going to explain to my Chemistry teacher that I need to borrow all this lab equipment for the entire school year?


If you are a student, I would work with your coach on securing the appropriate equipment. It might make sense for the club/team to acquire a set of supplies that it takes to competition rather than have individual students borrowing supplies from a chemistry teacher. If you have the financial resources, Ward Science will be releasing a kit shortly that should include all the needed items. However, its definitely possible to put together your own kit for substantially less. Your school might even be willing to donate the supplies.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » September 15th, 2018, 10:39 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
Unome wrote:I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.


In practice, how am I going to explain to my Chemistry teacher that I need to borrow all this lab equipment for the entire school year?


If you are a student, I would work with your coach on securing the appropriate equipment. It might make sense for the club/team to acquire a set of supplies that it takes to competition rather than have individual students borrowing supplies from a chemistry teacher. If you have the financial resources, Ward Science will be releasing a kit shortly that should include all the needed items. However, its definitely possible to put together your own kit for substantially less. Your school might even be willing to donate the supplies.


Thank you.

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » October 11th, 2018, 7:00 am

Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 540
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby pikachu4919 » October 12th, 2018, 8:50 am

Jacobi wrote:Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.


If this is about curriculum for chemistry classes: all schools proceed through their respective curricula at different paces and definitely also in different orders in which topics are learned. For example, some may learn physical properties before acids/bases, some may do the opposite. I remember I didn't have my acids/bases unit in AP Chem at my school until second semester (I think) of that school year. Some may do it the same, some may not.

By all means you're entitled to whatever curriculum and pace you want if you're putting on a crash course to be used within your SciOly team, but it may be an entirely different case if this is for a standard class like Chem, Honors Chem, AP Chem, IB Chem, or whatever other forms of high school chemistry courses that exist nowadays.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » October 12th, 2018, 10:36 am

pikachu4919 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.


If this is about curriculum for chemistry classes: all schools proceed through their respective curricula at different paces and definitely also in different orders in which topics are learned. For example, some may learn physical properties before acids/bases, some may do the opposite. I remember I didn't have my acids/bases unit in AP Chem at my school until second semester (I think) of that school year. Some may do it the same, some may not.

By all means you're entitled to whatever curriculum and pace you want if you're putting on a crash course to be used within your SciOly team, but it may be an entirely different case if this is for a standard class like Chem, Honors Chem, AP Chem, IB Chem, or whatever other forms of high school chemistry courses that exist nowadays.

I was more talking about crash coursing within a SciOly team.

Dinoswarleafs
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: November 10th, 2017, 8:37 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Dinoswarleafs » October 15th, 2018, 11:11 am

Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 396
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby PM2017 » October 17th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?

Probably not -- I got an easy 5 on the AP exam, and I decided to take some tests for fun, and I missed basically all of the physical properties portion of the tests.

Not to mention the majority of people doing this event have either taken, or will take AP Chem, and I'm sure a decent number will get 5s.

As for your other questions, I would not be able to help you since I'm not taking this event.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

User avatar
PeptoBismol
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: September 28th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby PeptoBismol » October 18th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I am studying for chemistry lab and circuit lab, and I have found that some stuff overlaps. For example, there is electrical resistance for both events, and magnetism in chemistry lab is related to electric field / electric charge / Coulomb's law concepts in circuit lab.

How exactly do the concepts of resistance and magnetism differ between events?

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby Jacobi » October 19th, 2018, 8:19 am

Resistance and magnetism in Chem are more general topics. You would need to know just what each means, and how to calculate it. Honestly, PP topics are loosely defined, so prepare for everything and more.

In Circuit Lab, these are covered in more detail and with equations! :D :D :D :D

User avatar
PeptoBismol
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: September 28th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Postby PeptoBismol » October 20th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?


Getting a 5 on the ap chemistry exam is a good start, but you'll definitely have to study a lot more for chemistry lab. You should prepare for test questions that are harder than most AP questions. Keep in mind that so many people have taken / are taking AP chemistry and those who have taken it have likely gotten a 4 or 5 on the test.

Another thing is that the AP chemistry test gives way too much time and chemistry lab gives very little time. You not only have to know how to do the problems, but also how to do them quickly. Practice is definitely key.

As for your last question, I can almost guarantee there will be weak acid and base questions, as there are weak acids and bases in the rules. pH, titration, etc. will probably be tested at competitions.


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest