Chemistry Lab C

Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by Jacobi »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?
A 5 on the AP Chem - most people in SciOly get that. Above and beyond is what you need.

Prepare for everything. Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Jacobi wrote: Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Idk why I asked this T_T oops

What are you guys putting on your reference sheet for acids & bases? I put the ions on the rule page and a table of Kas (if weak) and uses of the acids and bases they listed. I was also going to put a list of indicators but it says that the ranges will be provided so that seems pretty useless. I don't really understand what extra stuff there is for titrations if we're not doing buffers until state. Do you guys usually put a ton of stuff on the sheet you get to bring?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
Jacobi wrote: Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Idk why I asked this T_T oops

What are you guys putting on your reference sheet for acids & bases? I put the ions on the rule page and a table of Kas (if weak) and uses of the acids and bases they listed. I was also going to put a list of indicators but it says that the ranges will be provided so that seems pretty useless. I don't really understand what extra stuff there is for titrations if we're not doing buffers until state. Do you guys usually put a ton of stuff on the sheet you get to bring?
I am going to put:
  • Ka table
  • Uses and properties table
  • A few basic equations
Put on everything you know you don't know you know.
SochiaK
Division: C
State: TN

Post by SochiaK »

Which properties are you guys learning for acids/bases?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

SochiaK wrote:Which properties are you guys learning for acids/bases?
I would go to sites like pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and get everything on there. And of course, Wikipedia.
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

Recommended Lab Equipment for Division C Chemistry Events
Each team may bring any or all of the items listed below for use in Division C Chemistry Events requiring
laboratory equipment. Teams not bringing these items will be at a disadvantage as Event Supervisors will not
provide Recommended Lab Equipment. A penalty of up to 10% may be given if a team brings prohibited lab
equipment to the event.
Does the part about "may bring...all the items listed below" mean that I can use one kit that contains both Chem Lab and Forensics supplies or "penalty...if a team brings prohibited lab equipment" mean that I need a separate kit for each?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

meierfra wrote:
Each team may bring any or all of the items listed below for use in Division C Chemistry Events requiring
laboratory equipment. Teams not bringing these items will be at a disadvantage as Event Supervisors will not
provide Recommended Lab Equipment. A penalty of up to 10% may be given if a team brings prohibited lab
equipment to the event.
Does the part about "may bring...all the items listed below" mean that I can use one kit that contains both Chem Lab and Forensics supplies or "penalty...if a team brings prohibited lab equipment" mean that I need a separate kit for each?
I'd side on the latter. You can have a base kit, plus additional items that you take in and out for each event.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Jacobi wrote:
meierfra wrote:
equipment to the event.
I'd side on the latter. You can have a base kit, plus additional items that you take in and out for each event.
I would personally interpret "prohibited items" being stuff that's not on that list at all, especially since stuff that can be used in chem lab could technically be used in forensics even if it's not necessarily useful and even though not everything that's used for forensics can be used in chem lab (i.e. there's no point in using microscope slides and coverslips for chem lab, I would be surprised if that was ever a thing).

disclaimer: not an official rule interpretation, only place for those is soinc.org rule clarifications and FAQ's.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
starstudent

Post by starstudent »

Are periodic tables always provided or should we include one in the cheat sheet?
PeptoBismol
State: CA

Post by PeptoBismol »

Do any veterans know how lenient on significant figures? I was doing some problems and I found that answers to weak acid / base pH were sometimes different by at most ~.1 depending if you count "-x" as negligible or not even when you can use 5% rule. Would my answer still be correct if it was .1 off?

Return to “2019 Lab Events”