Protein Modeling C

Limke
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by Limke »

ScienceRobo wrote:I've been reading through the provided papers papers to try and find "functionally relevant features." However, they mostly discuss specific amino acids. Are there any sources that I can use to find other things I could display, or is sticking with just amino acids fine?
Sticking with amino acids is fine. Each creative addition is technically worth only 1 point (4 max) so recreating the whole file and folding binding sites from cas9 or something isn't going to earn you more points. Creative additions usually will earn full points if they are (1) sufficiently and accurately displayed (2) relevantly explained on the note card.
2019 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Designer Genes, Forensics, Protein Modeling.

2020 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Protein Modeling, Forensics, Sounds of Music

do not eat the forensics powders
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Did any of your regionals say that the prebuild is not even counted as part of the score? I am participating in the Bay Area regional on March 2nd and the director said that it wouldn't be considered. I feel so upset because my partners and I spent quite a bit of time on it.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
sdk652

Post by sdk652 »

Per the official rules, it says that the percentage it counts for was lowered (40% to 20%). I'm pretty sure some communication went wrong.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Yeah, nerfing the prebuild into oblivion would be completely unfair, fortunately it wasn't. (still, losing value hurts)
eagerlearner102

It seems to be I am the only one who has this problem :(. I am confused why the Bay Area regional can change the national rules from 20% to 0%. Do regionals have the right to do this?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:It seems to be I am the only one who has this problem :(. I am confused why the Bay Area regional can change the national rules from 20% to 0%. Do regionals have the right to do this?
Most regionals/states have rules saying that their rules clarifications/FAQs supercede the nationals rules, so according to them, ig they do have the right.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

I mean, half of the regionals in TX don't run all 23 events, never mind state events, and some invitationals skimp on the on site build by getting rid of it to save money.
eagerlearner102

Just wondering, how are you guys studying the biochemistry part of the test? I took some practice tests like MIT, Florida, Princeton, Long Island and I have to admit some of the questions were pretty hard (Gibbs Free Energy, total charge of peptide, psi/phi angle).
kevintovar28

Post by kevintovar28 »

Hello, so I am thoroughly confused on a few things and I was wondering if anyone could offer some clarity. For the beginning and end terminus, are they one amino acid long? And if so does that mean that it is the first amino acid and the next amino acid is #2 or? As for marking where beta sheets and helices, how can I know what amino acid it starts on? Finally, what structures are important and where can I find that information? Thanks a ton.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

kevintovar28 wrote:Hello, so I am thoroughly confused on a few things and I was wondering if anyone could offer some clarity. For the beginning and end terminus, are they one amino acid long? And if so does that mean that it is the first amino acid and the next amino acid is #2 or? As for marking where beta sheets and helices, how can I know what amino acid it starts on? Finally, what structures are important and where can I find that information? Thanks a ton.
The N and C termini are both one amino acid. They both count as one when numbering the sequences. For secondary structures, in Jmol, you can wave your mouse over the residue in question and it will tell you the number. The important structures can be found in the research papers posted on the CBM website.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “2019 Lab Events”