Protein Modeling C

RishiVanga
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by RishiVanga »

So I don't know if I'm just searching it wrong but I can't seem to find a place to buy Mini Toobers for modeling the structure. Could someone send me a link to where I can buy them?
MyWorldRules

Post by MyWorldRules »

Can someone please send us their files containing their work. I am really confused and would like to reference of someone. Thx x
greenMountainCoffee

Post by greenMountainCoffee »

Limke wrote:
greenMountainCoffee wrote:Hi,
This may be a stupid question, but on the JSMOL thing, it says the protein we should build is 84 residues long. Does that mean we should include residue #1 and include residue #84?

Sorry this was worded weirdly too
Yes, include residue 1 and 85*.
Also, just a clarification, the rules say to build residues 1-85.
Right but then... the protein would be 85 residues right?
meierfra
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

RishiVanga wrote:So I don't know if I'm just searching it wrong but I can't seem to find a place to buy Mini Toobers for modeling the structure. Could someone send me a link to where I can buy them?
This https://www.3dmoleculardesigns.com/Scie ... g-Kits.htm is the site to buy a Mini Toober for the Pre-Build. You can also buy a practice kit that was the 2016 Regional On-site. This is the information page; click the blue "Buy Now" button to take you to a shopping page.

You know you don't have to buy the Mini Toobers. Less expensive options include 12 guage wire and this foam wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026WGDYW/?c ... _lig_dp_it that Andy Hamm suggested to me. (It says size 12, but you just get one 32' roll.)
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

meierfra wrote:
RishiVanga wrote:So I don't know if I'm just searching it wrong but I can't seem to find a place to buy Mini Toobers for modeling the structure. Could someone send me a link to where I can buy them?
This https://www.3dmoleculardesigns.com/Scie ... g-Kits.htm is the site to buy a Mini Toober for the Pre-Build. You can also buy a practice kit that was the 2016 Regional On-site. This is the information page; click the blue "Buy Now" button to take you to a shopping page.

You know you don't have to buy the Mini Toobers. Less expensive options include 12 guage wire and this foam wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026WGDYW/?c ... _lig_dp_it that Andy Hamm suggested to me. (It says size 12, but you just get one 32' roll.)
I would say that from an objective standpoint, the main advantage with buying the kits to build with would be that everything is cut to the exact length that the model needs to be, as well as the fact that it provides some supports and caps for the N and C termini, and the onsite practice kits also have model amino acid parts as well (although that's not necessarily the most efficient way to get amino acid residues, you can easily make them out of whatever material your heart desires within the scope of the rules).

It's more or less a convenience thing, if anything. I know plenty of models have been really good and high-scoring without using the kits as well. Totally up to you.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Limke
State: PA

Post by Limke »

greenMountainCoffee wrote:
Limke wrote:
greenMountainCoffee wrote:Hi,
This may be a stupid question, but on the JSMOL thing, it says the protein we should build is 84 residues long. Does that mean we should include residue #1 and include residue #84?

Sorry this was worded weirdly too
Yes.

I measured mine out to be 85 residues.
2019 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Designer Genes, Forensics, Protein Modeling.

2020 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Protein Modeling, Forensics, Sounds of Music

do not eat the forensics powders
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

When has/will the On-Site model protein been/be determined? Is it supposed to be the CRISPR, since we're modelling anti-CRISPR for the pre-build? I understand that the specific section won't be given until competition.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

The onsite build can be any protein they choose. (from what I understand)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

daydreamer0023 wrote:When has/will the On-Site model protein been/be determined? Is it supposed to be the CRISPR, since we're modelling anti-CRISPR for the pre-build? I understand that the specific section won't be given until competition.
From the MSOE website, the onsite builds will be a specific section of the CRISPR Cas-9 protein from PDB File 5f9r.pdb.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
greenMountainCoffee

Post by greenMountainCoffee »

Limke wrote:
greenMountainCoffee wrote:
Limke wrote:
Yes.

I measured mine out to be 85 residues.
Okay, yes (sorry this is taking so long to marinate in my brain) but the toober is only 168 cm long in the kit. 168/2 = 84....? So we must not include the actual residue of either 1 or 85 correct?

Return to “2019 Lab Events”