Protein Modeling C

eagerlearner102
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Protein Modeling C

Postby eagerlearner102 » February 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Also, the research paper was talking about the significance of asp14. I am kind of confused by what they meant. Do they mean that occupying the phosphate lock loop prevents guide RNA from being formed (target heteroduplex)? I am confused.
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
Other scientific pursuits: USNCO, PDB video challenge coming up!

shivanirao21

Postby shivanirao21 » February 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

thoughts on adding the sgRNA to the model? for regionals, my partner and i built just the AcrIIA4 with significant side chains... and i think adding more would have earned us more points. we want to add on for states. would adding the sgRNA be too much??
Codebusters
Forensics
Protein Modeling

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » February 7th, 2019, 4:18 pm

shivanirao21 wrote:thoughts on adding the sgRNA to the model? for regionals, my partner and i built just the AcrIIA4 with significant side chains... and i think adding more would have earned us more points. we want to add on for states. would adding the sgRNA be too much??

I don't think it's too much; rather it's important to the Cas9 protein, but AcrIIA4 doesn't directly affect the sgRNA. Therefore, you might be better off adding some of the parts that AcrIIA4 directly interacts with.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 8th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

https://www.soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 8th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Unome wrote:Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » February 8th, 2019, 6:17 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Unome wrote:Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.

Maybe it goes to some of the 'pay-to-win' type things. I think some schools are sinking a ton of money into it and they probably just don't want that.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

primitive_polonium

Postby primitive_polonium » February 8th, 2019, 9:06 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:

Maybe it goes to some of the 'pay-to-win' type things. I think some schools are sinking a ton of money into it and they probably just don't want that.

So I'm a States supervisor for Protein Modeling. I can't say much, but my understanding is that there really isn't a lot of...safety around the prebuild rubric. It is pay-to-win.

The general gist is: if things haven't changed too much since 2015/6, I have pretty good reason to suspect that a good chunk of teams (including top teams) have the model and rubric. When I did PMod then, my Protein partner and coach got their hands on the prebuild rubric; I knew people at other schools who did the same.

The final straw was an incident of widespread distribution of the rubric. Afterwards, MSOE probably decided that it wasn't really fair to put so much value on the prebuild section and thus adjusted the score accordingly. It's a bit late to really do much else towards changing the event.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 9th, 2019, 5:09 am

primitive_polonium wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.

So I'm a States supervisor for Protein Modeling. I can't say much, but my understanding is that there really isn't a lot of...safety around the prebuild rubric. It is pay-to-win.

The general gist is: if things haven't changed too much since 2015/6, I have pretty good reason to suspect that a good chunk of teams (including top teams) have the model and rubric. When I did PMod then, my Protein partner and coach got their hands on the prebuild rubric; I knew people at other schools who did the same.

The final straw was an incident of widespread distribution of the rubric. Afterwards, MSOE probably decided that it wasn't really fair to put so much value on the prebuild section and thus adjusted the score accordingly. It's a bit late to really do much else towards changing the event.

I get the feeling that this was inevitable, considering the way the rubric is held in secret.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Person
State: -

Postby Person » February 9th, 2019, 9:52 am

CookiePie1 wrote:
Person wrote:Does the final alpha helix begin at Glu71, or Glu70?

In Jmol, you can just do 'color structure' and hover your mouse on where the last helix begins (I think its purple for a 3-10 helix)

I think I'm confused because looking at this, it would appear to start at Glu71, but looking at Jmol, it seems to start at Glu70. I noticed this with the other helices too - according to the sequence chain view, the first helix starts at Ile3, but the prebuild visualization environment colors it magenta starting from Asn2, etc. Should I just follow the sequence chain view from the PDB?
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

juakk700
State: IN

Postby juakk700 » February 9th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Hello! I was looking at past rubrics from this event in the past. I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between Loops and Turns they mention? Rubric from 2010 is below.

https://scioly.org/wiki/images/2/2e/201 ... Onsite.pdf
North Central HS

eagerlearner102

Postby eagerlearner102 » February 11th, 2019, 7:10 am

For the on site build, does every regional choose their own special sequence to model the protein or is it the same across the entire nation? I am asking this question because I saw the onsite build instructions from the MIT invitational.
Also, how do you really practice for the on site build considering the fact that it is now 40%?
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
Other scientific pursuits: USNCO, PDB video challenge coming up!

banilmd

Postby banilmd » February 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

eagerlearner102 wrote:For the on site build, does every regional choose their own special sequence to model the protein or is it the same across the entire nation? I am asking this question because I saw the onsite build instructions from the MIT invitational.
Also, how do you really practice for the on site build considering the fact that it is now 40%?

Me and my partner have just went along separating the protein that’s usually given to us for onsite into roughly 100 residue sections.
We just go along and practice timed building of significant structures.

platypusomelette
State: NY

Postby platypusomelette » February 11th, 2019, 3:02 pm

juakk700 wrote:Hello! I was looking at past rubrics from this event in the past. I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between Loops and Turns they mention? Rubric from 2010 is below.

https://scioly.org/wiki/images/2/2e/201 ... Onsite.pdf

Just a theory but it looks like the turns are the parts between beta pleats specifically
island trash trees hs
2019 events
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th

past events
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
HELL YEA WE MADE STATES

primitive_polonium

Postby primitive_polonium » February 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm

eagerlearner102 wrote:For the on site build, does every regional choose their own special sequence to model the protein or is it the same across the entire nation? I am asking this question because I saw the onsite build instructions from the MIT invitational.

Exams (written, prebuild rubric, onsite) are standardized across the board. Unless things have changed from previous years, the onsite should be the same for every regionals and every states tournament.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

platypusomelette
State: NY

Postby platypusomelette » February 12th, 2019, 9:18 am

The MIT rubric was different from my regionals one though so invites are not standardized.
island trash trees hs
2019 events
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th

past events
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/