Protein Modeling C

MacintoshJosh
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Just to clarify, 5vw1.pdb has 3 chains, not 2.
Last edited by MacintoshJosh on November 30th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukhakimova3944
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ukhakimova3944 »

Hello!
Just to clarify, we are only building chain b? Looking at previous models the chain looks too small, so I am worried that we need to model the other chains. I read the previous posts, but being the anxious person that I am, I cannot help but ask.

Also, can the other chains be kept as functionally relevant parts if they are not part of the main build? I wanted to make them just in case and though I have not gotten to that, I may very well still model them and have the other members do so as practice.

Many thanks in advance.
juakk700
State: IN

Post by juakk700 »

How do we figure out which terminal is which? I'm a bit confused.
Also, any general tips to start out?
North Central HS
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

ukhakimova3944 wrote:Hello!
Just to clarify, we are only building chain b? Looking at previous models the chain looks too small, so I am worried that we need to model the other chains. I read the previous posts, but being the anxious person that I am, I cannot help but ask.

Also, can the other chains be kept as functionally relevant parts if they are not part of the main build? I wanted to make them just in case and though I have not gotten to that, I may very well still model them and have the other members do so as practice.

Many thanks in advance.
Yes, you are correct, we are building only chain B of the protein complex shown on Jmol (5vw1.pdb file). http://www.rcsb.org/structure/5VW1
Here is the link to the protein complex from the Protein Data Bank if you haven't already checked it out.
(Chain B is the anti-CRISPR protein.)

Now for your other question,

It is definitely not required to build parts from other chains but the rules sheet does say that 'Participants will use materials of their own choosing to add functionally relevant features to their model.'

Functionally relevant features could include parts from different chains but it's really up to you if you want to add those parts and if you find they are 'functionally relevant' and highlight the significance of structure to function of the protein.
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

juakk700 wrote:How do we figure out which terminal is which? I'm a bit confused.
Also, any general tips to start out?
(Make sure you understand the event thoroughly, here's a good place to start: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/participantHome.php)

Research
I suggest first doing some research on proteins in general. Amino acids, levels of protein structure, sheets and helices, sidechains, hydrogen bonds, disulfide bonds, residues, peptide bonds, protein folding; these are all examples of some terms and concepts you should be familiar with before starting your model.

Once you understand everything about proteins, try researching on DNA. For example, genes, genomes, RNA, and specifically CRISPR and anti-CRISPR.

Jmol
Next, you need to be familiar with Jmol, which basically a program that allows you to view biological structures, in this case, the specified protein. http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/des ... build.html -- Link to Jmol and this year's protein. Practice the commands for Jmol with a reference sheet, located on the side of the Jmol model. Typing "restrict 1-85" then "restrict :B" will get you to the protein we are building this year (1-85 residues and B chain).

Building
CBM has some good videos on how to build your protein, I suggest checking them out.
SOS_pls

Post by SOS_pls »

Are we allowed to bring in a double-sided notecard or a single sided notecard to accompany our prebuild model?
dnzsnr

Post by dnzsnr »

Anyone know how to undo a command in the JSmol design environment? I've tried just typing "undo" or "undo <command>" but nothing seems to be working.
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Did any of you receive an orange strand for the protein modeling prebuild kit? The orange strand is longer than the blue strand. They said that it was because the blue strand wasn't the correct length. Did any of you get this?
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
KSSOISLIT
State: KS

Post by KSSOISLIT »

Are y'all bringing in 3 sheets of notes at your invitationals? We've been using only 1 sheet, but someone pointed out to me recently that the rules, similar to the Forensics rules this year, say "each participant" before mentioning the "one sheet" comment. Would this mean a team of 3 can bring 3 sheets? Thanks.
Olathe North High School
[b]Past Events:[/b] Anatomy, Bridges, Crime Busters, ELG, Helicopters, Mission Possible, Towers
[b]2019 Events:[/b] Boom, Fermi, Forensics, Protein, Wright Stuff
BanjoRodriguez

Post by BanjoRodriguez »

Hey all,

How much are the functional add ons weighted in the judging process? Also how many are recommended? The rules are quite ambiguous about it. :?:

I’ve been relatively successful with the event at the two invitationals I’ve been to, but I’m really trying to take my pre-build to the “next level” to remain competitive with some of the great teams in my region. Any suggestions? :D
2019 Events: Mission Possible, Protein Modeling, GeoLogic Mapping, Dynamic Planet
2018 Events: Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Remote Sensing, Microbe Mission

Return to “2019 Lab Events”