Crime Busters B

ledwards003
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby ledwards003 » January 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I'm a newbie and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. Please give me any tips!!!

Study powders, metals, and liquids like crazy!! They are so so important. Make sure you know the difference between different kinds of fingerprints and ONLY PUT WHAT YOU NEED ON YOUR CHEAT SHEET. Also make sure you leave time for your analysis (I suggest using bullet points), which should be written by whoever is done first. Underline useful information (what animals the suspect has, what kind of clothes they wear, etc.) and learn at least a bit about the history of forensics (like the father of fingerprinting, wha CODIS stands for, what IAFIS stands for, etc.). Learn about DNA and its 4 nitrogenous bases, know what DNA stands for, and basically just know about DNA. Just.... make sure you know the 4 nitrogenous bases and the biggest differences between unknowns like the back of your hand and edit your cheat sheet as you go. And please please always remember the analysis, it is so many points and is important okay.

I hope this was able to help!! I know it was a lot, but there is a lot to know!!!

ledwards003
State: OH

Postby ledwards003 » January 9th, 2019, 4:59 pm

scipanther55 wrote:Hey Guys,

Wondering if we are allowed to conduct a scratch test for metals?

Also,
Does anyone know what liquids they will provide when testing the density of plastics?

Thanks

I have never conducted a scratch test, I look at the color, see if it is magnetic, and see how it reacts with HCl.

I actually looked up what liquids they will likely be using!! Corn oil, 70% isopropyl alcohol, 10% NaCal solution, 25% NaCl solution, saturated NaCl, and water. This may not be completely correct, but it is what I had written down and I am pretty sure it is what will be used.

Crimesolver
State: CA

Postby Crimesolver » January 9th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Last year at states I tried using it for a sample that I was 99.999% sure was flour, but it wouldn't react. Also, I accidentally got it on a wool(?) sample and it turned brown. Can someone explain this?
Current Events
R/S
Crime Busters 3rd
Thermodynamics 4th
Circuit Lab 4th
Potions and Poisons 5th
Battery Buggy what a failure

Keep on going :!:

amk578
Division: C
State: IN

Postby amk578 » January 16th, 2019, 7:17 am

At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

jimmy-bond
Division: C
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » January 16th, 2019, 8:04 am

amk578 wrote:At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?

The only thing I can think of is with baking soda
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have Alzheimer's, cheese on toast.

2019 Events
Chem Lab, Code Busters, DD, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Water Quality

2018 Nats
CB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » January 16th, 2019, 12:42 pm

jimmy-bond wrote:
amk578 wrote:At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?

The only thing I can think of is with baking soda

Yeah, I'm not sure either except for the baking soda.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Medals: 23
Hammond/Valpo/Regionals/State
Crime: 6/1/1/8
Exp Design: 2/x/x/x
Thermo: 3/9/1/4
Heredity: x/3/x/x
Mystery: x/x/1/4
Member of the Builder Cult
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

qk11

Postby qk11 » January 19th, 2019, 11:57 pm

How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » January 20th, 2019, 5:09 am

qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?

I bring 1 set of test tubes, some Petri dishes, a spot plate, and 4 beakers of different sizes.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » February 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?

I bring 1 set of test tubes, some Petri dishes, a spot plate, and 4 beakers of different sizes.

We also bring 1 set of test tubes and about 2 or 3 petri dishes (although they haven't come in handy just yet). However, we bring about 10 spot plates, give or take a few. This saves time!! You do not have to spend time cleaning your spot plates out and drying them, when you can just take a new one and wash them towards the end!! This saves so much time, as CB is a very fast-paced event! As for the flasks and beakers, we bring two flasks (our box is for both PP and CB) and 6 beakers (1 600 mL, 1 400 mL, 2 250 mL, and 2 100 mL). We pack them together, putting paper towels in between them to avoid breakages, while also getting our paper towels in our box!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 3rd, 2019, 10:26 am

Rivkaaa wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:

We also bring 1 set of test tubes and about 2 or 3 petri dishes (although they haven't come in handy just yet). However, we bring about 10 spot plates, give or take a few. This saves time!! You do not have to spend time cleaning your spot plates out and drying them, when you can just take a new one and wash them towards the end!! This saves so much time, as CB is a very fast-paced event!

I also bring a magnifying glass to help differentiate between salt and sugar.

NordoniaMS

Postby NordoniaMS » February 5th, 2019, 4:26 am

Good morning.

I have a question about Candles. Are candles and matches supposed to be in our box for Crime?

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 5th, 2019, 8:20 am

NordoniaMS wrote:Good morning.

I have a question about Candles. Are candles and matches supposed to be in our box for Crime?

Nope! The ES should give us those.

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » February 5th, 2019, 9:15 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:

We also bring 1 set of test tubes and about 2 or 3 petri dishes (although they haven't come in handy just yet). However, we bring about 10 spot plates, give or take a few. This saves time!! You do not have to spend time cleaning your spot plates out and drying them, when you can just take a new one and wash them towards the end!! This saves so much time, as CB is a very fast-paced event!

Yeah, we bring a hand lens too! It has been helpful for differentiating between salt and sugar, although we don't always need it! It's definitely a huge help at invys and regionals!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

starfruit
State: VA

Postby starfruit » February 6th, 2019, 7:10 am

Rivkaaa wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:

Yeah, we bring a hand lens too! It has been helpful for differentiating between salt and sugar, although we don't always need it! It's definitely a huge help at invys and regionals!

I'd also bring several stirring utensils/a bunch of pipettes
Last edited by starfruit on February 10th, 2019, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 events-
potions&poisons/heredity/crimebusters/codebusters

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 8th, 2019, 12:35 pm

starfruit wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:I also bring a magnifying glass to help differentiate between salt and sugar.

I'd also bring several stirring utensils a bunch of pipettes

Spoons too! Make sure you have something to get the unknowns onto your spotplate

Return to “Lab Events”