Crime Busters B

ledwards003
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by ledwards003 »

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I'm a newbie and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. Please give me any tips!!!
Study powders, metals, and liquids like crazy!! They are so so important. Make sure you know the difference between different kinds of fingerprints and ONLY PUT WHAT YOU NEED ON YOUR CHEAT SHEET. Also make sure you leave time for your analysis (I suggest using bullet points), which should be written by whoever is done first. Underline useful information (what animals the suspect has, what kind of clothes they wear, etc.) and learn at least a bit about the history of forensics (like the father of fingerprinting, wha CODIS stands for, what IAFIS stands for, etc.). Learn about DNA and its 4 nitrogenous bases, know what DNA stands for, and basically just know about DNA. Just.... make sure you know the 4 nitrogenous bases and the biggest differences between unknowns like the back of your hand and edit your cheat sheet as you go. And please please always remember the analysis, it is so many points and is important okay.

I hope this was able to help!! I know it was a lot, but there is a lot to know!!!
:)
ledwards003

Post by ledwards003 »

scipanther55 wrote:Hey Guys,

Wondering if we are allowed to conduct a scratch test for metals?

Also,
Does anyone know what liquids they will provide when testing the density of plastics?

Thanks
I have never conducted a scratch test, I look at the color, see if it is magnetic, and see how it reacts with HCl.

I actually looked up what liquids they will likely be using!! Corn oil, 70% isopropyl alcohol, 10% NaCal solution, 25% NaCl solution, saturated NaCl, and water. This may not be completely correct, but it is what I had written down and I am pretty sure it is what will be used.
:)
Crimesolver
State: CA

Post by Crimesolver »

Last year at states I tried using it for a sample that I was 99.999% sure was flour, but it wouldn't react. Also, I accidentally got it on a wool(?) sample and it turned brown. Can someone explain this?
Keep on going :)
amk578
State: IN

Post by amk578 »

At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road
2019 - Anatomy, Disease, Heredity, & Road
2020 - Anatomy, DGenes, Disease, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling
2021 - Anatomy, Chem Lab, DGenes, Disease, Machines, & Protein Modeling
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

amk578 wrote:At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?
The only thing I can think of is with baking soda
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

jimmy-bond wrote:
amk578 wrote:At this one competition, they gave vinegar as an additional reagent to HCl and iodine, what is the purpose of vinegar in IDing unknowns?
The only thing I can think of is with baking soda
Yeah, I'm not sure either except for the baking soda.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
qk11
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by qk11 »

How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?
I bring 1 set of test tubes, some Petri dishes, a spot plate, and 4 beakers of different sizes.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Rivkaaa
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rivkaaa »

CPScienceDude wrote:
qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Crimebusters?
I bring 1 set of test tubes, some Petri dishes, a spot plate, and 4 beakers of different sizes.
We also bring 1 set of test tubes and about 2 or 3 petri dishes (although they haven't come in handy just yet). However, we bring about 10 spot plates, give or take a few. This saves time!! You do not have to spend time cleaning your spot plates out and drying them, when you can just take a new one and wash them towards the end!! This saves so much time, as CB is a very fast-paced event! As for the flasks and beakers, we bring two flasks (our box is for both PP and CB) and 6 beakers (1 600 mL, 1 400 mL, 2 250 mL, and 2 100 mL). We pack them together, putting paper towels in between them to avoid breakages, while also getting our paper towels in our box!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

Rivkaaa wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:
We also bring 1 set of test tubes and about 2 or 3 petri dishes (although they haven't come in handy just yet). However, we bring about 10 spot plates, give or take a few. This saves time!! You do not have to spend time cleaning your spot plates out and drying them, when you can just take a new one and wash them towards the end!! This saves so much time, as CB is a very fast-paced event!
I also bring a magnifying glass to help differentiate between salt and sugar.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!

Return to “2019 Lab Events”