Density Lab B

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Density Lab B

Postby windu34 » July 18th, 2018, 9:57 am

Density Lab B: Participants compete in activities and answer questions about mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, pressure and buoyancy.

Density Lab Wiki

Past Threads: 2018 WA Trial
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MO

Re: Density Lab B

Postby dxu46 » September 4th, 2018, 7:46 pm

It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 4th, 2018, 7:49 pm

dxu46 wrote:It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?

Where did you read that it was an impound event? Impound isn't mentioned in the rules or the schedule as far as I can see.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » September 4th, 2018, 7:54 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?

Where did you read that it was an impound event? Impound isn't mentioned in the rules or the schedule as far as I can see.

Whoops, I read "self-schedule" as "impound" :oops:
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

Killboe

Postby Killboe » September 8th, 2018, 6:45 am

That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it
2019 River City Science Academy
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N
Disease Detectives : 4/9/3/_/_/_
Solar System : 7/5/5/_/_/_
Thermodynamics : 5/6/12(bigoof)/_/_/_

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

Total Awards: 6

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 8th, 2018, 6:58 am

Killboe wrote:That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it

Read the rules and learn everything on there. If you finish the basics, get into fluid dynamics and stuff (or not because it's hard).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Killboe

Postby Killboe » September 8th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Unome wrote:
Killboe wrote:That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it

Read the rules and learn everything on there. If you finish the basics, get into fluid dynamics and stuff (or not because it's hard).

Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 9th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Killboe wrote:Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.

What do you mean by density and mass as entire subjects?

Killboe

Postby Killboe » September 10th, 2018, 11:06 am

Killboe wrote:Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.

On the event rules it says it tests the knowledge of students on "mass, density," and etc.. That's extremely vague.
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 10th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Killboe wrote:

On the event rules it says it tests the knowledge of students on "mass, density," and etc.. That's extremely vague.

I dunno, it seems somewhat straightforward to me what topics are outside the scope of the event, e.g. rest mass and the Chandrasekhar limit. That's just a general overview for what the event covers. Take it with a grain of salt.

arv101
State: NJ

Postby arv101 » September 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

How are you guys gonna practice the lab section?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?

"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

Killboe

Postby Killboe » September 14th, 2018, 11:12 am

arv101 wrote:How are you guys gonna practice the lab section?

No clue.
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » September 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

Another thing about the rules I don't understand is why they limit the use of parts-per notation to million and billion. For example, if I wanted to make a question about something at a concentration of 5 parts-per-trillion, couldn't I just say a concentration of 0.005 parts-per-billion in order to get around this?
"More like, 'Belongs in the Trash!'"

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Killboe

Postby Killboe » September 17th, 2018, 5:01 pm

John Richardsim wrote:I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

Another thing about the rules I don't understand is why they limit the use of parts-per notation to million and billion. For example, if I wanted to make a question about something at a concentration of 5 parts-per-trillion, couldn't I just say a concentration of 0.005 parts-per-billion in order to get around this?
'

I like how I spent like an hour studying how to calculate molarity and stuff like that and then I just see this comment. kmn

Since it's a brand new event I'm assuming they're making adjustments? The event rules are very vague and not very well made. Maybe they're making the event easier? Idk
Last edited by Killboe on September 17th, 2018, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 17th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Killboe wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

'

I like how I spent like an hour studying how to calculate molarity and stuff like that and then I just see this comment. kmn

Now you're prepared for when an event supervisor inadvertently asks questions about molarity :P
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Lab Events”