Density Lab B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Density Lab B

Post by windu34 »

Density Lab B: Participants compete in activities and answer questions about mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, pressure and buoyancy.

Density Lab Wiki

Past Threads: 2018 WA Trial
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Density Lab B

Post by dxu46 »

It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?
Where did you read that it was an impound event? Impound isn't mentioned in the rules or the schedule as far as I can see.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:It looks like this event is an impound event. Anyone know why?
Where did you read that it was an impound event? Impound isn't mentioned in the rules or the schedule as far as I can see.
Whoops, I read "self-schedule" as "impound" :oops:
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Killboe wrote:That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it
Read the rules and learn everything on there. If you finish the basics, get into fluid dynamics and stuff (or not because it's hard).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

Unome wrote:
Killboe wrote:That moment when u just got put into this event and soinc has no info on it
Read the rules and learn everything on there. If you finish the basics, get into fluid dynamics and stuff (or not because it's hard).

Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Killboe wrote:Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.
What do you mean by density and mass as entire subjects?
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

Killboe wrote:Alright so I just studied up on this event for like 4 hours straight with my partner, and like, holy $#@!. I dive into one topic and that one topic has soooooooooo many things, i thought this was an easy event. I understand the Archimedes principle, the triangle thing (where you can find mass, density, and volume) and buoyancy. What I'm confused about is, it says on the rule sheet that the archimedes principle is really important, but it also says that we'll be tested on our knowledge of mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, temperature, pressure, and buoyancy. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what to study. Like I said, you dive into 1 of those topics, and there is so many things to cover. Literally, you just need to study "DENSITY" as an entire subject, and "MASS" as an entire subject. But that's wayyyy to many things to cover. So I have no clue what to study.
On the event rules it says it tests the knowledge of students on "mass, density," and etc.. That's extremely vague.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Killboe wrote:
On the event rules it says it tests the knowledge of students on "mass, density," and etc.. That's extremely vague.
I dunno, it seems somewhat straightforward to me what topics are outside the scope of the event, e.g. rest mass and the Chandrasekhar limit. That's just a general overview for what the event covers. Take it with a grain of salt.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”