Circuit Lab B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

jaggie34 wrote:Anyone think it would be useful looking into magnetic moment?
Probably yes.
Boss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boss »

I know that the rules mention RC time constant questions, as well as capacitor questions, being permitted in division c. Would questions regarding other aspects beyond simple calculations of an RC time constant be permitted? I would think that if resistors and capacitors are permitted, then by extension, things like low-pass and high-pass filters would be allowed.
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

Boss wrote:I know that the rules mention RC time constant questions, as well as capacitor questions, being permitted in division c. Would questions regarding other aspects beyond simple calculations of an RC time constant be permitted? I would think that if resistors and capacitors are permitted, then by extension, things like low-pass and high-pass filters would be allowed.
I would say yes; generally if you think it would be allowed, some test writers will too.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

So just for anyone who might want to know what to expect on some tests here is list of things that you may see. I live in Ohio where the compititon is very hard, especially at State (considering that the national champs and runner up were from ohio). Anyways...here is the list:
- i always had a lab portion so become very good at identifying resistors in case they give you a huge pile
- a list of special symbols (sybols such as the ground symbol, switches, ect) put in your binder, just in case
- a list of inventors and when they invented things
- terms in SI units
that covers a huge part and might as well keep them in your binder just in case.............
hope this helps and good luck :)
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

Speaking of Ohio, the circuit lab test for div B had 5 different labs, 3 of which were done alongside the test and 2 of which were timed with each pair having 5 minutes total to complete both simultaneously. The test was also very very long, and very difficult. We only got about 3/4 to 4/5 of the way through and we still won.
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

So does this mean that there is the same info we need to know for the 2019-20 season?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

neerja.shah wrote:So does this mean that there is the same info we need to know for the 2019-20 season?
There will likely be some small changes. We won't know exact details until the rules come out in September.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
neerja.shah wrote:So does this mean that there is the same info we need to know for the 2019-20 season?
There will likely be some small changes. We won't know exact details until the rules come out in September.
If you are interested in studying early for 2019-2020, I would encourage you to focus on the essential parts of the event, such as electromagnetism and circuit analysis. There is plenty of material here to last you til the rules come out in September.
To clarify, circuit analysis (for C division) should include Thevenin/Norton equivalents with and without dependent sources. Practice using the nodal and mesh methods, as well as understanding how to apply a supernode when circuits get complicated. Its also safe to say you can probably continue studying Op-Amps, since that is a big part of electrical circuits as well.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2019 Lab Events”