Circuit Lab B/C

PM2017
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby PM2017 » October 20th, 2018, 8:13 am

tangentline wrote:Inductance is as feasible as a topic as capacitance... But I think having both on the test means RLC circuits.
...I really loved this event back in 2013 and it helped me towards becoming an EE

except it's not...
Please refer to rule 3.d.

Although I do agree that there is no real reason (that I can think of) to allow for capacitance to be tested and not inductance.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 20th, 2018, 10:03 am

PM2017 wrote:
tangentline wrote:Inductance is as feasible as a topic as capacitance... But I think having both on the test means RLC circuits.
...I really loved this event back in 2013 and it helped me towards becoming an EE

except it's not...

Although I do agree that there is no real reason (that I can think of) to allow for capacitance to be tested and not inductance.

Agreed... they could've easily allowed inductance but not RLC circuits (especially since they allowed capacitance but not RC circuits in B division). Also, they added magnetic poles, magnetic fields, and electromagnets to the rules, so there's really not much of a reason not to allow inductance.

Jacobi
State: -

Postby Jacobi » October 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

except it's not...

Agreed... they could've easily allowed inductance but not RLC circuits (especially since they allowed capacitance but not RC circuits in B division). Also, they added magnetic poles, magnetic fields, and electromagnets to the rules, so there's really not much of a reason not to allow inductance.

If your event supervisor is known to be mean, learn it.

JMcQueen

Postby JMcQueen » October 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 23rd, 2018, 12:27 pm

JMcQueen wrote:In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?

I assume it means a solderless breadboard. A graphing calculator counts as a stand-alone calcaulator.

Jacobi

Postby Jacobi » October 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm

JMcQueen wrote:In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?

I would agree with UTF. They don't want students soldering.

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » October 24th, 2018, 7:13 pm

We have a new official 'calculator policy' everyone should review: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... e_2019.pdf

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » October 25th, 2018, 10:04 am

I'm fairly new to binder events. How thick are the binders for these types of events usually?
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Wright Stuff

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 25th, 2018, 10:40 am

megrimlockawesom wrote:I'm fairly new to binder events. How thick are the binders for these types of events usually?

Varies from 1-1.5 inches to something like this.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Postby MattChina » October 25th, 2018, 12:05 pm

How much of electrostatics do we needto know
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2018 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Thermodynamics, Quiz bowl(NY trial)

Ankles moister than a humid summer day

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 25th, 2018, 12:42 pm

MattChina wrote:How much of electrostatics do we needto know

At least stuff like Coulomb's law, how to calculate electric fields, and what voltage is

BasuSiddha23
Division: B

Postby BasuSiddha23 » October 31st, 2018, 7:21 pm

Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

I was wondering if we might need to know about switches, relays, and solenoids too. Also, I was wondering what everyone is doing to study for the simple measurements, constructions, and configurations of a circuit and individual components as explained in 3. c. viii.

Thanks
2017 (Rustin, Little Tiger, Regionals, States)
Wind Power (-/3/1/2) Road Scholar (10/-/2/4) Bottle Rockets (6/-/1/3)
2018 (Rustin, Little Tiger, Regionals)
Thermodynamics (5/2/1/3) Road Scholar (6/3/1/2) Hovercraft (-/6/5) Disease Detectives (-/-/2/-)

Jacobi

Postby Jacobi » November 1st, 2018, 6:42 am

BasuSiddha23 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

I was wondering if we might need to know about switches, relays, and solenoids too. Also, I was wondering what everyone is doing to study for the simple measurements, constructions, and configurations of a circuit and individual components as explained in 3. c. viii.

Thanks

On the first, I would study mainly switches and transistors, although anything and everything could be on the test (especially given that it's a big-binder event).

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 1st, 2018, 11:41 am

Jacobi wrote:
BasuSiddha23 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

Thanks

On the first, I would study mainly switches and transistors, although anything and everything could be on the test (especially given that it's a big-binder event).

Ths issue here is that transistors are both semiconductor devices and nonlinear... I'm somewhat confused about what is on the scope of this test.

Also, inductance isn't allowed, so I doubt there will be solenoids.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » November 22nd, 2018, 5:53 am

Does anyone have any advice on how to design/run the practical portion? In particular, what tasks are common and how many is typical?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

Return to “Lab Events”