Game On B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Game On B

Post by Adi1008 »

Game On B: This event will determine a team's ability to design and build an original computer game using the program Scratch incorporating the scientific theme provided to them by the supervisor.

Game On Wiki

Game On Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Kai0721
Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On B

Post by Kai0721 »

Does any one know why they took out the game type.(maze, collector etc.)?
2018-19 Events: Amazing Mechatronic :P , Battery Buggy :D , ELG, :o Density Lab, :)
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

Kai0721 wrote:Does any one know why they took out the game type.(maze, collector etc.)?
the game types makes the event more complex so they will probably put it back in next year
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Etan
State: FL

Post by Etan »

I found a really useful source, a YouTube channel called Scratch Tutorials

Also, I'd like to issue a challenge[Below]
[hide]I want to see if someone could make a sudo-rhythm game using scratch, anybody who is interested post a link to the project page in the reply|[/hide]
[2019 River City Science Academy M&H]
ERL:2019 events:
Game on :idea:
Fossils :!:
Circuit Lab :arrow:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Etan wrote:I found a really useful source, a YouTube channel called Scratch Tutorials

[hide]I want to see if someone could make a sudo-rhythm game using scratch, anybody who is interested post a link to the project page in the reply|[/hide]
What is a sudo-rhythm game
Carrot
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Etan wrote:I found a really useful source, a YouTube channel called Scratch Tutorials

I would assume it to be something along the lines of a guitar hero like game where you tap along to the rhythm of a song, though something like this would most likely not be usable during competition as no external sound files are allowed. It would be quite challenging to write and record a song in the allocated time period and would not meet some of the requirements on the rubric (AI).
Etan

Post by Etan »

Carrot wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

I would assume it to be something along the lines of a guitar hero like game where you tap along to the rhythm of a song, though something like this would most likely not be usable during competition as no external sound files are allowed. It would be quite challenging to write and record a song in the allocated time period and would not meet some of the requirements on the rubric (AI).
Although it would, in fact, not be very useful for the competition, learning how to make a game like this can help teach someone about how to do quick-time events. It could also help them find a way to work on timing with their code since rhythm games require a synchronization with the gameplay and the music.
Carrot
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

Etan wrote:
Carrot wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: What is a sudo-rhythm game
Although it would, in fact, not be very useful for the competition, learning how to make a game like this can help teach someone about how to do quick-time events. It could also help them find a way to work on timing with their code since rhythm games require a synchronization with the gameplay and the music.
Eh, either way from what I know of rhythm games, they are just reading from a set of data and comparing the recorded values to the played values. Not many rhythm games actually base their "notes" directly from the sound files, rather the "notes" that the user needs to hit are almost always manually imputed beforehand. Also, what do you mean by "quick-time events?"
Etan

Post by Etan »

Carrot wrote:
Etan wrote:
Carrot wrote:
Eh, either way from what I know of rhythm games, they are just reading from a set of data and comparing the recorded values to the played values. Not many rhythm games actually base their "notes" directly from the sound files, rather the "notes" that the user needs to hit are almost always manually imputed beforehand. Also, what do you mean by "quick-time events?"
Those moments in games when everything freezes and you have to press buttons at the right time to progress
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

OSU! is a sodu rhythm game

Return to “2019 Lab Events”