Division: B
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On B

Post by Etan »

hmmm wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
JohnSkyChung wrote:For invitationals, they said that we can make any TYPE of game we want as long as it related to the scientific theme so can we make games that are state or national level? If we do will we get penalized or lose points please help me thank you. :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
John Sky Chung
Wait, hold on. I thought the only 3 types of games that could be used for invitational and regional were avoidance, collection, and maze.
That was only last year. This year they removed that restriction on game type, so you can make any type of game.
For me and my team, we still had to use whatever game type was on the paper...
[2019 River City Science Academy M&H]
ERL:2019 events:
Game on :idea:
Fossils :!:
Circuit Lab :arrow:
matu9385
State: NY

Post by matu9385 »

Etan wrote:
hmmm wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Wait, hold on. I thought the only 3 types of games that could be used for invitational and regional were avoidance, collection, and maze.
That was only last year. This year they removed that restriction on game type, so you can make any type of game.
For me and my team, we still had to use whatever game type was on the paper...
If you competed last year, that *was* a requirement then. If you competed in an invitational or scrimmage recently...I don't know what to tell you. The specs for 2018-19 don't list any game types and the rules clarification specifically states:

"11/15/2018
THERE IS INFORMATION ONLINE ABOUT THE TYPE OF GAME (E.G. SHOOTING, BUILDING, ETC), BUT THE RULES DO NOT ADDRESS HOW TO SCORE A TEAM THAT DOESN'T USE THE TYPE. WILL STUDENTS BE GIVEN A GAME TYPE?
The current year's published rules are correct. There will NOT be a game type given to the students at competition. Students will be given a broad scientific theme to build their original computer game around."

So you might want to have a word with the event supervisor or your coach about this.
floop

Post by floop »

Our team had a few questions regarding the rubric.We were looking at both the base rubric and the 'rubric decoded' document, but there were a few things that we couldn't understand. We hoped to get these questions answered by our grader at competition, but ours for our first competition was not great.

First, we had some questions on the sprite orientation, mostly concerning the autonomous sprite. Will it be enough to get both two points to just have clones rotating constantly as they fell, or do we need more?

Also, we didn't fully understand the environment interactions. What do we need to get the full two points there? Is it enough to have the character walking on a ground and clones disappearing on contact with the ground?

In the 'science of theme', it says that there is a point each for scientific concepts and there are four points. Does this mean that we need four separate scientific concepts in the info, because that seems a little ridiculous?

Lastly, in 'play balance' where it says 'speeds are appropriate for game', in the decoded paper does it mean that the UC speed should change during the course of the game? How would you do that? It doesn't really make sense to me.
Guriy

Post by Guriy »

floop wrote:Our team had a few questions regarding the rubric.We were looking at both the base rubric and the 'rubric decoded' document, but there were a few things that we couldn't understand. We hoped to get these questions answered by our grader at competition, but ours for our first competition was not great.

First, we had some questions on the sprite orientation, mostly concerning the autonomous sprite. Will it be enough to get both two points to just have clones rotating constantly as they fell, or do we need more?

Also, we didn't fully understand the environment interactions. What do we need to get the full two points there? Is it enough to have the character walking on a ground and clones disappearing on contact with the ground?

In the 'science of theme', it says that there is a point each for scientific concepts and there are four points. Does this mean that we need four separate scientific concepts in the info, because that seems a little ridiculous?

Lastly, in 'play balance' where it says 'speeds are appropriate for game', in the decoded paper does it mean that the UC speed should change during the course of the game? How would you do that? It doesn't really make sense to me.
For environment interactions I believe to get full points you must collide with some sort of walls in the environment that will block you like a mountain blocking your way would be enough. For scientific concepts I have no clue and to me it is ridiculous we need to have at least four to get full points. For sprite orientation, autonomous sprites to be exact I don't think its enough for them to rotate midair as I didn't get full points on that sub-section when I did that. In speeds are appropriate for the game I believe that just means how balanced the game is like can I catch this object this far away in a reasonable amount of time. Hope this helps.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Could someone grade my game so I could see what kind of score I would have gotten? I tried doing a different type of game because I was curious........
The theme is rockets
https://we.tl/t-6rZAtoYuTm
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
Guriy

Post by Guriy »

LittleMissNyan wrote:Could someone grade my game so I could see what kind of score I would have gotten? I tried doing a different type of game because I was curious........
The theme is rockets
I have graded your game using the Division B Rubric Decoded document, the result you got was a 37/100.
You did best at science of theme but gameplay heavily lacked.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Guriy wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote:Could someone grade my game so I could see what kind of score I would have gotten? I tried doing a different type of game because I was curious........
The theme is rockets
I have graded your game using the Division B Rubric Decoded document, the result you got was a 37/100.
I kinda expected that Thanks!
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
Guriy

Post by Guriy »

LittleMissNyan wrote:
Guriy wrote:
The theme is rockets
I kinda expected that Thanks!
No problem.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Would I get in trouble if I posted a link to the games from MD Regionals? They are shared publicly on Scratch.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
logannio

Post by logannio »

So I have a question on the scoring what does movement complexity even mean I made it to where you move using arrow keys but they gave me a one out of four.
I would love to get some answers on this I have been having lots of problems with this.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”