Game On B

glenk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On B

Post by glenk »

terence.tan wrote:
Kai0721 wrote:Does any one know why they took out the game type.(maze, collector etc.)?
the game types makes the event more complex so they will probably put it back in next year
I don't think they have taken the game type out. There is documents for 2019 for game type on https://www.soinc.org/game-b. I do not see a document for game theme though, but it is mentioned in the scoring rubric explained document there. Does anyone know if they got rid of theme or are they doing both a type and theme again?
Carrot
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

glenk wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Kai0721 wrote:Does any one know why they took out the game type.(maze, collector etc.)?
the game types makes the event more complex so they will probably put it back in next year
I don't think they have taken the game type out. There is documents for 2019 for game type on https://www.soinc.org/game-b. I do not see a document for game theme though, but it is mentioned in the scoring rubric explained document there. Does anyone know if they got rid of theme or are they doing both a type and theme again?
As the rubric states "Game related to theme and type (Y/N)" I would assume that game types are still going to be used this year. It is strange how it is not mentioned in the rules, though. However, the rules do say that the scoring will be based on the rubric.
Incineroar999
Division: B

Post by Incineroar999 »

Is Game On Hard?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Incineroar999 wrote:Is Game On Hard?
If you spend a ton of time on it, it'll seem really easy. If you never touch it, it'll seem really hard. The key is lots of practice! (This applies for all events.)

I would not say Game On has any particularly hard spots though.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
If you spend a ton of time on it, it'll seem really easy. If you never touch it, it'll seem really hard. The key is lots of practice! (This applies for all events.)

Most importantly, practice all of the game types on every theme you can think of.

Even better, know exactly what you code for each game type, then just adapt it to the theme.

This is my experience from last year when this event was C.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Jacobi wrote:

Most importantly, practice all of the game types on every theme you can think of.

Even better, know exactly what you code for each game type, then just adapt it to the theme.

This is my experience from last year when this event was C.
They actually got rid of game types for B division. It's just themes now. Which makes it really easy to just go through a set script, but you do you, soinc; you do you.
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

It looks like types are back. The NSO Game On Page has a document call 2019 Game On Type Explanation.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bearasauras wrote:It looks like types are back. The NSO Game On Page has a document call 2019 Game On Type Explanation.
But... game types aren't in the rules...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Unfortunately, I think 5.a. implicitly included game type by saying that the scoring will follow the online rubric which includes game type.
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

Jacobi wrote:
jlordhe wrote:Why was this moved to Division B?
Events rotate around all the time. For example, Sounds of Music is in Division C now.

A more interesting question which might start a flame war is "Why was this an event in the first place?" ;)
Because all the computer science people (like me for example) were dying for an event that they could actually do. 8-) :D ;) :!:
IKR
This is so sad, can we please make source code an event
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

Return to “2019 Lab Events”