Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Anomaly »

dxu46 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:What does the rubric mean in the quantitative data section where it says "Report most relevant data"?

Making a presentation on expd for middle schoolers and I come across that and have no idea what it means.
That's the condensed data table with important data such as averages.
ah alright that makes sense thanks
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

Anomaly wrote:What does the rubric mean in the quantitative data section where it says "Report most relevant data"?

Making a presentation on expd for middle schoolers and I come across that and have no idea what it means.
I think it means that you should report data that is relevant to the hypothesis.

For example, if you're doing an XP with ball drop height v. drop time, you wouldn't report bounce height.
pal_420

Post by pal_420 »

What do the rules mean by age-appropriate statistic? Does this mean we can't have more complex stuff like ANOVA?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

pal_420 wrote:What do the rules mean by age-appropriate statistic? Does this mean we can't have more complex stuff like ANOVA?
I think it means that you shouldn't be doing mode or range for Division C.
Who knows? You might want Pearson Correlation.

Also, how would ANOVA even apply to XPD data?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Jacobi wrote:
pal_420 wrote:What do the rules mean by age-appropriate statistic? Does this mean we can't have more complex stuff like ANOVA?

Many proctors will be unfamiliar with ANOVA, so I would not recommend using it for your statistical analysis. It is certainly not necessary to do so.

At the Division C level, I would generally recommend you choose either Pearson's correlation coefficient (r and r^2) or Student's t-test. These will cover almost every scenario and are easy to calculate using a graphing calculator. It is important that you understand and interpret the meaning of the results, rather than simply reporting them.

Mean and standard deviation will almost always be the best measures of center and spread to report. Occasionally, median might be preferred, but you're unlikely to have a sufficient sample size to know if your data is skewed.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote:

Many proctors will be unfamiliar with ANOVA, so I would not recommend using it for your statistical analysis. It is certainly not necessary to do so.

At the Division C level, I would generally recommend you choose either Pearson's correlation coefficient (r and r^2) or Student's t-test. These will cover almost every scenario and are easy to calculate using a graphing calculator. It is important that you understand and interpret the meaning of the results, rather than simply reporting them.

Mean and standard deviation will almost always be the best measures of center and spread to report. Occasionally, median might be preferred, but you're unlikely to have a sufficient sample size to know if your data is skewed.
What about for division B? A lot of the statistics would be much more simpler with an algorithm on a graphing calculator, but that's taken away.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote: I think it means that you shouldn't be doing mode or range for Division C.

What about for division B? A lot of the statistics would be much more simpler with an algorithm on a graphing calculator, but that's taken away.
I would say mean and standard deviation are fairly easy to calculate by hand, but you could also use the mean absolute deviation which takes the absolute values instead of squaring and then square rooting (even easier by hand!).
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

dxu46 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote: I think it means that you shouldn't be doing mode or range for Division C.

Given that they say "age-appropriate", they would expect mean, median, range, mode???? :lol:, maybe Standard Deviation. Those formulae are easy to memorize and execute on a 4-function or non-programmable scientific calculator.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

I would say mean and standard deviation are fairly easy to calculate by hand, but you could also use the mean absolute deviation which takes the absolute values instead of squaring and then square rooting (even easier by hand!).
Alright, thanks.

Just wondering, are there any ES's out there on the forums? I'm curious on how certain sections are judged (i.e. Analysis, Qualitative, Statistics)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote: What about for division B? A lot of the statistics would be much more simpler with an algorithm on a graphing calculator, but that's taken away.
Alright, thanks.
(Also see Jacobi's post, although I'm skeptical of range being a good indicator of anything, and you probably won't have a mode)

Return to “2019 Lab Events”