Experimental Design B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Unome »

kate! wrote:
Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
Can someone explain the new rule for ED this yr? Does it mean , the whole team have to perform the experiment and then move on the whole writing process?
Thanks!
In the first twenty minutes, the only thing you can do is do the experiment and write the basics (the first half of the rubric.) This gives your whole team more time to focus on the actual experiment rather than trying to write down errors and observations. In the next twenty minutes, you'll have finished the experiment, so it'll be much easier to now focus solely on analysis. This is also to prevent people from making up data and forces you to perform a thorough experiment. It depends on how you split up the rubric, but it should be mostly the same as last year, except for the fact that you now have designated times for doing the experiment and analyzing it.
This is almost certainly the main reason for the change.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Unome wrote:
kate! wrote:
Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
Can someone explain the new rule for ED this yr? Does it mean , the whole team have to perform the experiment and then move on the whole writing process?
Thanks!
In the first twenty minutes, the only thing you can do is do the experiment and write the basics (the first half of the rubric.) This gives your whole team more time to focus on the actual experiment rather than trying to write down errors and observations. In the next twenty minutes, you'll have finished the experiment, so it'll be much easier to now focus solely on analysis. This is also to prevent people from making up data and forces you to perform a thorough experiment. It depends on how you split up the rubric, but it should be mostly the same as last year, except for the fact that you now have designated times for doing the experiment and analyzing it.
It is but this is most certainly annoying for teams that worked with legitimate data (aka my team) and started immediately on analysis as soon as results occurred. It takes me about 15 mins to make a "perfect analysis" so it will be a painful process. :x This certainly will change the method of operations for many top-tier teams.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote:
kate! wrote: In the first twenty minutes, the only thing you can do is do the experiment and write the basics (the first half of the rubric.) This gives your whole team more time to focus on the actual experiment rather than trying to write down errors and observations. In the next twenty minutes, you'll have finished the experiment, so it'll be much easier to now focus solely on analysis. This is also to prevent people from making up data and forces you to perform a thorough experiment. It depends on how you split up the rubric, but it should be mostly the same as last year, except for the fact that you now have designated times for doing the experiment and analyzing it.
It is but this is most certainly annoying for teams that worked with legitimate data (aka my team) and started immediately on analysis as soon as results occurred. It takes me about 15 mins to make a "perfect analysis" so it will be a painful process. :x This certainly will change the method of operations for many top-tier teams.
The new format seems to emphasize teamwork as the only way to get everything done is to work as a very solid team and communicate well.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

dxu46 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote: This is almost certainly the main reason for the change.
The new format seems to emphasize teamwork as the only way to get everything done is to work as a very solid team and communicate well.
While I certainly do enjoy that idea of teamwork, the only reason our team placed consistently was the independent roles each of us assumed and practiced; now with the new time impediment, this may pose a new challenge in keeping up with the scores now, but then again if other teams did the same they also face the same trouble. Regardless, I would still redistribute (or distribute if you're new) the roles again to try and fit the time management. Just my thought, so take it with a grain of salt ;)
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: It is but this is most certainly annoying for teams that worked with legitimate data (aka my team) and started immediately on analysis as soon as results occurred. It takes me about 15 mins to make a "perfect analysis" so it will be a painful process. :x This certainly will change the method of operations for many top-tier teams.
While I certainly do enjoy that idea of teamwork, the only reason our team placed consistently was the independent roles each of us assumed and practiced; now with the new time impediment, this may pose a new challenge in keeping up with the scores now, but then again if other teams did the same they also face the same trouble. Regardless, I would still redistribute (or distribute if you're new) the roles again to try and fit the time management. Just my thought, so take it with a grain of salt ;)
It may not have much merit, but here is my XPD grouping list:

Writer (52 points)
Manages Papers, A, B, C, D, E, M, Assists Others

Data Collector (36 points)
Runs Experiment, G, H, I, J

Analyzer (22 points)
Runs Experiment, F, K, L
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Jacobi wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
dxu46 wrote: The new format seems to emphasize teamwork as the only way to get everything done is to work as a very solid team and communicate well.

Writer (52 points)

Analyzer (22 points)
Runs Experiment, F, K, L
That's actually a solid breakdown!
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

dxu46 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:

Writer (52 points)

Analyzer (22 points)
Runs Experiment, F, K, L
That's actually quite identical to our format and we missed medaling at ISO state by a whisker. :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

TheChiScientist wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:

Writer (52 points)

Analyzer (22 points)
Runs Experiment, F, K, L
That's actually quite identical to our format and we missed medaling at ISO state by a whisker. :(
Thanks to both of you for your feedback.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

New Question:

On the Statistics section, if we are calculating something advanced like a correlation coefficient, do we have to show all of our steps?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Jacobi wrote:New Question:

On the Statistics section, if we are calculating something advanced like a correlation coefficient, do we have to show all of our steps?
I don't think they expect you to calculate a correlation coefficient by hand. You can just write "obtained by calculator" or something.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”