Experimental Design B/C

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby kate! » May 19th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Could someone explain what "Suggestions for other ways to look at hypothesis are given" in the applications section means?
I always thought that for this section, you're supposed to think of a new experiment with the same hypothesis. So another way to test the same variables, basically.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

fxp765

Postby fxp765 » May 19th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Could someone explain what "Suggestions for other ways to look at hypothesis are given" in the applications section means?
I always thought that for this section, you're supposed to think of a new experiment with the same hypothesis. So another way to test the same variables, basically.
That was similar to what I thought, but sometimes it seems difficult to come up with another experiment without it overlapping too much with the applications. Would you come up with experiments that are more simple like the one performed during the event or ones that have more realistic impacts?

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » May 19th, 2019, 6:10 pm

That actually makes more sense than what I said; changing IV levels makes a whole new experiment.

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » May 19th, 2019, 8:06 pm

That was similar to what I thought, but sometimes it seems difficult to come up with another experiment without it overlapping too much with the applications. Would you come up with experiments that are more simple like the one performed during the event or ones that have more realistic impacts?
I'd say the former. Simpler experiments are easier to think of, and ones with more realistic impacts are likely too complicated and could overlap with the real world applications part.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

Return to “2019 Lab Events”