dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by dxu46 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Wait, is it new that Experimental Design is in the at-the-beginning-of-the-competition time block (same block as Disease Detectives)? Do we know how definite this is?
IIRC, and according to my sister who did expd at nats for 5 years, expd didn't use to be in the morning because she also did disease, which has always been at 7.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Wait, is it new that Experimental Design is in the at-the-beginning-of-the-competition time block (same block as Disease Detectives)? Do we know how definite this is?
IIRC, and according to my sister who did expd at nats for 5 years, expd didn't use to be in the morning because she also did disease, which has always been at 7.
Experimental Design has been in the morning on one occasion in the past, in 2017 (and will be there again this year).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ruby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ruby »

I was just wondering what the "halfway" cut off for the checklist was. Does anyone know?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

Ruby wrote:I was just wondering what the "halfway" cut off for the checklist was. Does anyone know?
I believe up until the Quantitative Data section is the first half and then after 20 minutes they'll give you the Graphs and everything after that section. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, too lazy to look at rules right now.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Anomaly wrote:
Ruby wrote:I was just wondering what the "halfway" cut off for the checklist was. Does anyone know?
I believe up until the Quantitative Data section is the first half and then after 20 minutes they'll give you the Graphs and everything after that section. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, too lazy to look at rules right now.
That's right. If you use a standard writer + 2 experiment runners setup, you might have the writer help with the experiment.
Ender1982
State: IN

Post by Ender1982 »

So the scoring packet here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 101018.pdf

1.) Is analysis really only half a page?
2.) is procedure really only half a page?

I didn't see where in the rules it says we can ask for more paper during the event.

So yeah......
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Ender1982 wrote:So the scoring packet here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 101018.pdf

I didn't see where in the rules it says we can ask for more paper during the event.

So yeah......
Not every proctor follows this form. Plus, the rules don't say you can't ask for more paper. I think most proctors would be pretty lenient, because some people have larger handwriting or more to write.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

kate! wrote:
Ender1982 wrote:So the scoring packet here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 101018.pdf

So yeah......
Not every proctor follows this form. Plus, the rules don't say you can't ask for more paper. I think most proctors would be pretty lenient, because some people have larger handwriting or more to write.
After all, tiny handwriting is harder to grade
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

So yeah......
They're more like guidelines (if you're writing many many pages, then you're probably doing something wrong, same if you only write a sentence.)
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

dxu46 wrote:

So yeah......
They're more like guidelines (if you're writing many many pages, then you're probably doing something wrong, same if you only write a sentence.)
I think that procedure shouldn't take longer than that unless you're doing a complex experiment. You may want to extend diagrams up to the E section, or on the back.

In general, you should be able to ask for more paper, or use the back of the page they give.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”